The beginning of a cold winter may have come last night, but the audience at The Basement didn’t notice. Chicago natives Company of Thieves brought a sold-out crowd together for their first headlining show in the capitol city. The Basement was a crowded, stuffy gathering of fans awaiting their set.

This is its first time headlining at The Basement, but Company of Thieves is not new to Columbus. The band performed with The Plain White Ts earlier this year, stole the show at this year’s CD-101 Summerfest and most recently opened for Canadian band, OurLadyPeace. Each time it hits the stage, Company of Thieves demands attention with their undeniable presence and the unbelievable power of lead singer, Genevieve Schatz’s, voice.

The night opened with a local Columbus band, Afortiori, that Company of Thieves met in October when both bands opened for OurLadyPeace. The fairly young band played songs off its newly-released self-titled EP to the supportive cheers of a home crowd.

Annuals, from North Carolina, picked up where Afortiori left off. The six-piece band featured a somewhat unusual set-up of two full drum sets for their two percussionists. But this oddity only added to the band’s emphatic performance. The first song of the set was bluesy, and ended with a four-person percussion ensemble with the lead singer and lead guitarist joining on drums. Annuals then transitioned into a Caribbean- and South American-inspired song. Its set’s brief inclusion of slide guitar and accordion playing was received well by the Columbus audience.

There wasn’t a dull moment in Annual’s eclectic set. Its range of musical influences was the perfect precursor to Company of Thieves’ multifaceted musical style.

By 10 p.m., The Basement was steaming from the sold out crowd, waiting for the headliners to take the stage. Although there were some hiccups during sound check, they were still able to start nearly 10 minutes before their scheduled set time.

With a giggle and grin, Schatz expressed her genuine awe and amazement for the opportunity to play a sold out crowd for their first headlining show. The band then opened with “In Passing,” a track from its debut album “Ordinary Riches.” The audience was then treated to a sneak-peek of a new song to be on an upcoming album.

Some sound difficulties caused noticeable feedback for the first few songs, but this didn’t stop the band from giving an exceptional show. With every song the band’s energy intensified. Schatz captivated the audience with her ability to belt out powerful, impassioned choruses and sultry, soulful crooning effortlessly. Her charismatic nature and tendency to passionately dance around the stage gave her unparalleled stage presence.

Company of Thieves played a wide sampling of its debut album including “Past the Sleep” that perfectly transitioned into a stunning cover of The Smashing Pumpkin’s “1979.” Schatz then introduced their current single, “Pressure,” and to her delight the crowd responded by singing along.

The band treated the audience to a rare performance of “Even in the Dark” an uplifting song that truly showcases Schatz’s singing. Schatz later explained that it always makes her nervous to sing that particular song because of its focus on her raw voice, but she was flawless.

“Under the Umbrella” brought the show to a climax with an outstanding full-band jam for the finale. Mark Walloch, lead guitarist, showed off his guitar chops with an impressive solo, and Schatz continued to amaze with her voice. The crowd even took the band by surprise by wholeheartedly singing “na na na’s” to the music.

Company of Thieves responded to the crowd’s cheers for an encore. They ended with a performance of the original Erma Franklin version of “Piece of My Heart” as opposed to Janis Joplin’s cover, reiterating Schatz’s penchant and talent for singing all things soul.

Walloch was so grateful and impressed with the audience’s participation and singing that he said “Columbus, we’ve found our second home.”

And anyone lucky enough to have caught the show probably agrees. Company of Thieves, Columbus says “Welcome home.”