For 45 years, professor R. William Liddle has been a fixture of the political science department at Ohio State University.

Liddle grew up in McKeesport, Pa. outside Pittsburgh. He attended Yale University for both undergraduate and graduate school. While in graduate school, he focused on Southeast Asia, and eventually narrowed down his studies to the Republic of Indonesia.

Liddle describes his specific concentration on Indonesia as an “accidental choice” during a time when there was so much of interest.

“There was a real explosion of interest in that part of the world because of the countries that had just been freed from colonial rule after World War II,” he said. “It was fascinating to see what was going to happen in this newly emerging world.”

When Liddle came to OSU in 1965, he joined a department that had yet to establish itself in the academic community.

“I was part of a young group that was very interested in building a political science department at OSU of the best possible quality,” he said. “I think we’ve done that.”

Liddle would be the first to admit that his primary interest as a professor is his research, not his teaching. But his interest in sharing what he’s learned in his research has grown throughout the years.

“My research is what provides the excitement I get from my work, but I also feel the need to share the knowledge I’m gaining,” he said.

Over the course of his career, Liddle has had several extended stays in Indonesia, when he focused on research. He has lived in many different places, ranging from big cities like Jakarta to small villages in Java without paved roads or electricity.

“I’ve gotten to watch this developing country become what it is today,” he said.

During a two-year stay from 1985 to 1987, Liddle even brought his wife and newborn son along to experience the culture.

During another stay in the country, Liddle taught classes at Syiah Kuala University in Banda Aceh.

“I was teaching graduate students how to do social science research,” he said.

Liddle’s love for Indonesia makes its way to his home and office in Columbus as well.

Lining the walls of Liddle’s Mershon Center office are the various objects he has collected during his time abroad. The walls are adorned with beautiful pieces of fabric called batik and photos of his various adventures. Above his desk is a picture of his office in Jakarta.

“I like to remind myself during the depths of the Columbus winter that I have a warm tropical office out there,” he said.

Liddle has also passed his love of Indonesia and its culture to his four children. One of his three sons has gone to Java to study dance and another went to Bali to study gamelan, a metallic orchestra.

Liddle has been a political science professor at OSU since 1965. He teaches an introduction to comparative politics (polysci 100), and an honors seminar on politics in Muslim majority countries. The latter of the two classes is only offered in the spring.

“After Sept. 11 I decided it was time to get serious about comparing Indonesia to other Muslim majority countries,” Liddle said.