The story of Devin Barclay’s 2009 season was immortalized when he made the winning field goal in overtime against Iowa to make the Buckeyes the outright Big Ten champions.

But the walk-on and former soccer player once again shared the spotlight with starting kicker Aaron Pettrey at the Rose Bowl Game.

Barclay took over the season after Pettrey went out with a knee injury against New Mexico State on Oct. 31 that required surgery.

The second-string kicker had a rough start, missing a field goal in the second half of Ohio State’s 45-0 win over the Aggies. However, he quickly recovered and became a solid contributor to the Buckeye special teams unit.

When Pettrey was deemed healthy enough to play in his final game as a Buckeye, coach Jim Tressel decided to give him the chance while still rewarding Barclay for his regular season performance.

“It was two days ago that he told me we were going to be sharing kicks,” Barclay said of getting the news from Tressel. “He was going to be taking extra points and field goals outside of 42 yards.”

True to the plan, Barclay kicked and made three field goals from 19, 30 and 38 yards out, while Pettrey made a field goal from 45 yards in the second quarter to put the Buckeyes up 16-10. Barclay also kicked all six kickoffs.

Though Barclay said that it was unfortunate that Pettrey was injured, he said he has benefited from stepping in while Pettrey was out.

“It’s definitely a great opportunity to get some confidence for next year,” Barclay said of when he will likely step into the full-time starting spot. “I can take this and look back on some of the things I need to work on.”

Barclay also echoed many of his teammates when he said that playing in front of over 93,000 people was an experience unlike any other.

“When you get that kind of win and you actually get to be a part of the win, it holds its own,” Barclay said. “I’m just very glad that [Pettrey] and I got to play together in the Rose Bowl.”

Pettrey, who is a senior, is set to play in an All-Star game in February, Tressel said, and is targeting a path to the NFL.