New York Jets vs. Indianapolis Colts
This contest resembles the movie “Saving Private Ryan.” The American soldiers that were ordered to find private Ryan captured a German soldier. The Americans could have easily executed the soldier, but the character played by Tom Hanks told his patrol to let him go.

In the conclusion of the movie, that same German soldier who was set free kills one of the American soldiers in that same patrol.

When the Colts and Jets originally faced each other in Week 16, Indianapolis had a lead going into the second half and looked as if it would continue its undefeated season. Also, if the Jets lost the game, they would be out of the playoff hunt altogether, their season virtually over.

But instead of ending the Jets’ playoff hopes, the Colts pulled their marquee players in the second half to rest for January. The Jets went on to win the contest and they have recently gone on a miraculous run to reach the AFC Championship game against the team that gave them an extra life.

After the Colts let the Jets slip right through their fingers, they now will have to face off with a team that is currently brimming with confidence. Some critics believe that Indianapolis has lost its edge after resting their starters, but they won’t take New York lightly.

The Colts are the only team left in the playoff that has been in the Super Bowl in recent memory. New York hasn’t won since a quarterback named Joe Namath guaranteed a championship victory in Super Bowl III. Indy is stockpiled with playoff experience and is led by MVP quarterback Peyton Manning and receiving threats Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark. The Jets have an elite running attack, but the Colts proved to the world that they could shut down the run after silencing the Baltimore Ravens’ impressive running game.

Jets head coach Rex Ryan said in the first five minutes of his inaugural press conference that his team would win the Super Bowl. Sports fans around the country laughed at the cocky coach, but New York is only one win away from reaching their destination.

The Jets defense was able to slow down the Chargers’ high-octane offense with a bend-but-don’t-break approach last weekend. Rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez is a perfect complement to his defense as he is playing mistake free football. Rookie running back Shonn Green and veteran Thomas Jones have been the key to the Jets’ playoff success, leading the league in rushing .

The Colts are playing in their cozy confines in Indianapolis and have plenty of incentives to seek revenge against the Jets, but the Jets are clicking at just the right time and will fulfill Rex Ryan’s prediction.

Pick: New York Jets

Minnesota Vikings vs. New Orleans Saints
So far, Brett Favre has dismissed some of his critics while leading the Vikings to the NFC Championship game. At the age of 40, Favre has had arguably his most successful season. It seems that he has finally learned that his gunslinging mentality of the last few years won’t work against modern defenses. Favre has become a game manager this season while racking up an impressive number of touchdowns and throwing a career-low seven interceptions. But it also doesn’t hurt to have running back Adrian Peterson standing behind him.

Saints running back Reggie Bush doesn’t look like the same collegiate player from USC who avoided contact and juked around defenders. To the surprise of football fans around the country, Bush ran over defenders to gain chunks of yards against the Arizona Cardinals last weekend. New Orleans possesses a three-headed monster of running backs featuring Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell and Bush. Along with their dynamic pass offense, led by quarterback Drew Brees and stud receiver Marques Colston, the Saints have almost a limitless arsenal on offense.

Don’t discredit the Saints defense. After a week of rest in the bye week in Wildcard weekend, key defensive players had time to heal their injuries. This was surely displayed when the Saints defense made Kurt Warner look like Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell. 

The Viking defense is easily the superior squad in this contest. The front four of Minnesota’s defensive line tormented Tony Romo the entire contest last weekend, not allowing the Dallas quarterback to produce anything significant. Jared Allen leads arguably the best defense line in football and the team secondary is ranked among the league’s elite.

The Superdome should play a significant factor in this Conference Championship game. The Saints will ride the New Orleans crowd that is begging for their first ever Super Bowl. The No. 1 seed in the NFC should answer their call to win the high-scoring contest.

Pick: New Orleans Saints