The list of former Buckeyes still in pursuit of a Super Bowl ring is dwindling after the wild card round of the playoffs.

The second round presents a Buckeye-on-Buckeye matchup between Vikings corner Antoine Winfield and Cowboy’s linebacker Bobby Carpenter.

Despite missing six games this season with a foot injury, Winfield had 55 tackles. The foot injury has hampered his ability to cover in the backfield so he returned in the first round of the playoffs to play only in short yardage situations.

Despite being just 5 feet 9 inches tall, Winfield is one of the best tacklers in the league. In 2008, he had 95 tackles at corner.

Winfield represented the NFC in the Pro Bowl last year and would have likely made a repeat appearance had he not suffered an injury midseason.

He is listed as probable to play in the next game against the Cowboys in the same capacity.

Although Winfield and Carpenter are both defensive players, the rivalry of former teammates will be palpable.     

Carpenter is a part of what has recently been an unstoppable Cowboys’ defense.

Dallas recorded shutouts in each of the last two weeks of the season over the Washington Redskins and the Philadelphia Eagles. In the first round of the playoffs, the Cowboys’ defense again held the Eagles to just 14 points.

Winfield and the Vikings will be shaking up the Cowboys’ defensive strategies as they play an immensely different offense than that of the Eagles.

The Vikings run quick-precision plays. The Cowboys are going to have to prepare for the running game of Adrian Peterson.

Also among the surviving Buckeyes in the playoffs is Nick Mangold. Mangold is among three former Buckeyes who play for the New York Jets. Mangold contributed to the Buckeyes’ 2002 national championship season. Drafted 29th overall in 2006 to the Jets, he is arguably one of the best centers in the league.

As a senior co-captain in 2005, Mangold was a top contender for the Rimington Trophy for not allowing a single sack all season.

He was the first rookie to start every game in his first season in Jets history. He was named to the All-Rookie Team in 2006 and was recognized as the AFC Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Mangold will be the starting center in the Pro Bowl this year.
Also among headlines this season is former Buckeye favorite Beanie Wells.
Wells became the seventh rusher in Buckeye history to break 3,000 yards and is No. 4 with 3,382 yards behind Archie Griffin and Eddie George.

His momentum in his junior season propelled him into the NFL as the Arizona Cardinals’ first round pick last April.

In Arizona’s 51-45 win Sunday over Green Bay, Wells had a 42-yard-run in the third quarter which led to a Larry Fitzgerald touchdown, putting the Cardinals up 38-24 over the Packers.

Wells has been splitting time with Tim Hightower due to a fumbling issue, but managed to hold steady hands against the Packers. He led the team with 91 total rushing yards.

The Cardinals play the New Orleans Saints in the second round, where Wells will go head-to-head with another former Buckeye, Will Smith. At defensive end, Smith will surely have his eye on Wells.

The Divisional Playoffs hold several matchups that will both knock out many former Buckeyes and will push some one step closer to their ultimate goal: Super Bowl XLIV.