The U.S. Census Bureau is offering college students the opportunity to boost their resumes.

The bureau is required by the U.S. Constitution to count each person residing in the United States every 10 years. For such a huge task, the Census Bureau must hire for a wide variety of positions.

Ohio Treasurer of State Kevin L. Boyce, chair of the Ohio Complete Count Committee, announced in December that 24,000 jobs would come to Ohio. Of the 24,000 job openings, most have not been filled for the census that starts in March, said Niel Jurist, Boyce’s media relations manager.

“The number hired changes daily, and they will continue to hire throughout the entire census process,” Jurist said.

Carol Hector-Harris, the U.S. Census Bureau media specialist out of its Columbus Central office, said college students are included in those that the bureau would like to recruit. There are a variety of positions available.

“We have positions where people could work in an office or in the field,” Hector-Harris said.

Jurist said the jobs range from enumerators (census takers), field operations supervisors, crew leaders and crew leader assistants.

The tasks include recruiting, training and supervising employees, as well as clerking local census offices and conducting in-person interviews with community residents.

According to the Ohio Complete Count Web site, the census taker is hired to ensure his or her community is accurately represented by visiting the locations where a census form was not received from in a timely manner. He or she then records the residents’ answers to the form.

“This is a great opportunity for everyone to earn an income, increase job skills sets and gain valuable work experience,” Hector-Harris said.

The jobs pay between $8.25 and $19.50 per hour, Hector-Harris said. Employees could work part-time or up to 40 hours per week, including evening and weekend shifts,offering flexible hours and a great location for students who have little time, are between jobs or need extra cash.

“People who live and work in a particular community can canvass that community efficiently and bring a level of comfort to the residents with whom they speak,” said U.S. Census Bureau Recruiting Coordinator Bill Fuller in a statement.

Jurist said that college students are participating in a very important process by working for the census.

“Most of the college students hired use the data the census collects,” Jurist said.

The results found in the census not only determine how many seats each state will have in the U.S. House of Representatives, but also how over $400 billion is allocated for states and communities, according the Ohio Complete Count Web site. The funds are used for hospitals, job training, schools, senior centers, transportation and emergency services.

OSU students who are U.S. citizens or legal residents with a valid driver’s license, are fluent in English, have a social security number and are at least 18 years old can still apply for the open positions.

Applicants are required to pass a background check, attend four
days of paid training and a complete a test that measures his or her ability to perform the tasks associated with the jobs, according to the site.

“We tested a number of OSU students at our campus recruitment event last Thursday at the RPAC,” Hector-Harris said.

The 2010 Census Road Tour was on campus Jan. 14 at both the RPAC and the women’s basketball game against Illinois. The tour is used to bring awareness to and educate community members about the census, Hector-Harris said.

Brandon Boucher, a third-year in chemistry, had already learned of the census jobs through an e-mail from his major adviser.

“I think the census is important to understanding a lot that’s going on in our country. The pay is decent as well, so I considered it,” Boucher said. “As an involved college student, I just don’t think I can find time to do the job.” He said it would be possible to work some
weekends, though.

Chelsea Swain, a second-year in hospitality management, is already employed and said she recognizes how hard it is to balance work and time also.

“It is hard to find jobs that are willing to work with your schedule,” Swain said. She said the census would be a good option for other college students to get jobs, though.

“Especially with the economy how it is today, finding jobs can be difficult. This seems like a pretty good option I think student should consider,” Swain said.