If home is where the heart is, the hearts of Ohio State students should be at the 2010 Off-Campus Housing Fair Thursday.

OSU’s Off-Campus Student Services is sponsoring a fair for all students seeking rental housing. The fair will be at 1836 N. High St. from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday and Friday.

Students will be able to meet local landlords and get rental advice at the fair. They can also have apartment leases reviewed by the Student Housing Legal Clinic for free.

“Students get pressured into signing leases before they have had a lease review and therefore they may not understand their legal rights,” said Molly Hegarty, the department manager of the clinic.

“They should come to the fair and have the lease reviewed before they sign it and it becomes a potentially legally binding contract.”
Julie Tedder, a third-year in human development and family science, said she was unprepared when looking for her High Street apartment.

“My first time looking for housing was an adventure,” Tedder said. “I definitely suggest people go to the fair to have someone read over their leases and explain more in depth what they may be getting into.”

Program coordinator of Off-Campus Student Services Dilnavaz Cama said the event is a “one-stop shop” for students in all stages of their housing searches.

“Students who are just starting out their search should come out because they can meet many landlords at once and get an idea of what’s available next year,” Cama said. “Those who have already narrowed their searches down should also come to have sample leases from the landlord reviewed.”

Not only will they receive information about renting, but students can also get helpful advice on rental insurance, utilities and other important aspects of the off-campus living experience.

Students will also receive freebies at the fair and Student Services will be giving gift cards, coupons and other free prizes. This year’s list of giveaways includes gift cards to the Cheesecake Factory, tickets to Gameworks and gift certificates for services at Phia Salon.
“This will be a very informative event, but students will still be able to have fun while they’re here,” Cama said.