Famed American director Peter Bogdanovich was at the Wexner Center for the Arts Saturday to discuss his film “What’s Up, Doc?”

The event capped off a two-day series dedicated to Bogdanovich’s work. The auteur is best known for his 1971 film “The Last Picture Show” which was nominated for eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture. The picture took the Oscars for both Best Supporting Actor and Actress.

“The Last Picture Show” ironically opened the series on Friday and was followed by Bogdanovich’s 1973 film “Paper Moon.” The 1968 film “Targets,” his first film, aired on Saturday and the director himself arrived to introduce his 1972 comedy “What’s Up, Doc?”

“Doc” stars Barbra Streisand and Ryan O’Neal in a madcap tribute to the slapstick comedy made popular in films like “Bringing Up Baby” directed by one of Bogdanovich’s idols, Howard Hawks. It also pays homage to classic “Looney Tunes” cartoons, as referenced in the film’s title.

The plot revolves around O’Neal’s musicologist character, who is relentlessly stalked by Streisand. O’Neal’s travel bag gets misplaced with Streisand’s, as well as two other identical bags containing diamonds and government documents respectively. Comical chaos ensues.

Bogdanovich, who directed both dramas and comedies throughout his career, said that “Doc” was the most fun to produce.

“I had more fun making the picture than any picture I’ve made since,” he said. “I thought they’d all be this fun. They weren’t.”

While the film ran, the sold-out crowd frequently broke into fits of
laughter at the sheer silliness of the slapstick elements as well as at dryly delivered one-liners. After the showing, Bogdanovich said that he enjoyed watching it with a crowd.

“It’s really fun to see with people,” he said. “It played tonight the way it’s played everywhere. It’s amazing.”

While discussing the film’s production, Bogdanovich spoke of the humor that went into creating it. The original trailer was shown later, which displayed the director working with his stars. One particularly humorous clip showed him lying on top of a piano, serenading O’Neal as Streisand would later do, not knowing the cameras were rolling. He also described a phone call made to Howard Hawks during production regarding the film’s stars.

“I said ‘They’re not Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn’ [the stars of Hawks’ ‘Bringing Up Baby’],” Bogdanovich said. “He said ‘Damn right they’re not’.”

The director spoke of his work on other pictures like “The Last Picture Show,” but he was at his most enthusiastic when he described his experiences with classic Hollywood icons. He recounted discussions with Orson Welles, Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart, dropping his voice to match Welles’ tone and imitating Stewart’s relaxed drawl.

Bogdanovich first gained popularity by writing on the cinematic accomplishments of directors such as Welles. He also did film writing and critiquing for Esquire magazine. During his time writing, he befriended many of his subjects, and later decided to try directing at the behest of horror auteur Roger Corman.

Bogdanovich would continue to direct and also made forays into television, making guest appearances on “The Simpsons” and “The Sopranos.” He has also continued to publish books on filmmaking. He even won an Emmy in 2007 for his documentary on rock musician Tom Petty.

“He cuts a singular figure in postwar American cinema,” said Wexner film curator David Filipi in praise of Bogdanovich. “We’re pleased to be able to offer this special event.”

Sophomore English major Kevin Murray said he enjoyed the weekend series.

“Fantastic. This was my first run-in with Bogdanovich,” said Murray, who had seen “The Last Picture Show” and “Paper Moon” the night before. “My dad is a film buff and he told me I shouldn’t miss this and I’m glad I didn’t.”