Dale R. Wright, former Lantern editor and the first African-American graduate from Ohio State’s former School of Journalism, died of a heart attack Dec. 13 at Schervier Nursing Care Center in Bronx, N.Y. He was 86.

Wright is known for his groundbreaking efforts as an African-American in the field of journalism. After his career at OSU, Wright led a career that boasted a Pulitzer Prize nomination, several national journalism awards, a published book of articles, his own public relations firm and work for high-profile elected officials in New York.

Born in Monongahela, Penn., Wright moved to Canton, Ohio, as a teen and graduated from McKinley High School in 1941. He decided to enlist in the Marines during World War II and served in the Central Pacific doing munitions cleanup in a segregated unit.

During his service, Wright continued to hone his writing skills in the field by entertaining fellow soldiers with a makeshift newsletter. He was honorably discharged as a staff sergeant in 1946 and began formally studying journalism at OSU later that year.

“He had hoped and planned, but in the end it was absolutely the GI Bill that enabled him to go to college,” said his daughter, Kim E. Wright-King. “He was always very proud to be a Marine. He felt the war effort needed help and it was his duty to serve his country.”

During his undergraduate studies, Wright began writing for The Lantern and eventually became a page editor. Academically, Wright was in the top 10 percent of his graduating class. In addition to his studies he was a member of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity and became the first African-American member of Sigma Delta Chi, OSU’s chapter of the national journalism fraternity.

“Throughout his entire life he was always proud of his degree from Ohio State,” Kim said. “He said it was what enabled him to excel and reach the level he did.”

Upon graduation, Wright began reporting around the country, working as an associate editor with Ebony and Jet magazine.
In January of 1960 he became the first black reporter at the New York World-Telegram and Sun and his ten-piece story on migrant farm workers was a “nominated finalist” and overall runner-up in his category in the 1962 Pulitzer Prize voting. Wright went undercover in Long Island as a migrant farmer and chronicled his experiences.

The articles were later published as a book titled “They Harvest Despair: The Migrant Farm Worker” in 1965 and reprinted twice in Congressional records, Kim said. She also said shortly after the articles were initially published, both New York and New Jersey passed laws to protect farmers against mistreatment.

“He always had a sense of justice and wanted to make sure people did the right thing,” his son, Amilcar Metrit, said. “Those articles were his contributions to the Civil Rights Movement.”

Inspired by the amount of public service his articles had accomplished, Wright decided to move forward with these ideals and began doing public relations work in the state of New York. He worked as the press secretary and public relations director for New York political officials including Mayor Edward I. Koch, Sen. Jacob K. Javits, and Gov. Nelson A. Rockefeller until the early 1980s when he opened a public relations firm. Dale Wright Associates specialized in representing black businesses and organizations in the New York City area. Wright continued work there until recently when his health began failing. Wright also volunteered with and contributed to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People throughout his life.

Survivors include his daughter, Kim Wright-King of New York City and son, Amilcar Metrit of Bronx, N.Y. Services have been held.