Injuries are never beneficial to any team. At times, however, they can have a funny effect.

In the case of the Ohio State men’s basketball team, injuries, both this season and last, have allowed the Buckeyes to come together in times of despair. It has also allowed players who usually wouldn’t get playing opportunities to gain experience.

With a highly anticipated matchup against No. 11 West Virginia on Saturday, the Buckeyes remember the beat down they received from the Mountaineers last season.

One difference, however, is that OSU faced injuries shortly before last year’s matchup with West Virginia. This season, it appears they have successfully come back from one.

The Buckeyes started 9-0 last season before losing forward David Lighty to a foot injury against Jacksonville.

Reeling from his injury, and trying to find players to replace him, OSU staggered into the matchup with WVU and was pounded, 76-48.

For this season’s matchup, OSU is finally healthy, and these injuries might have given the Buckeyes their best chance at revenge against their boarding opponent.

When Lighty went down with a broken foot, the Buckeyes were in desperate need of a leader.

Insert Evan Turner.

The guard quickly became the team’s most prolific player and hasn’t stopped since. Having to lead the Buckeyes made Turner grow up fast under fire. As for the void in playing time, that was filled by freshman guard William Buford.

Buford used his extended playing time to have a promising first season.

Coach Thad Matta seems to share the sentiment that even in traumatic situations, a team can get better and grow.

“I use William [Buford] as a good example,” Matta said. “When David [Lighty] went down, it was the situation of, ‘Hey Will, you just went from playing 20 minutes to 35 minutes whether you like it or not,’ and I thought he had a great freshman year. Really across the board I thought we’ve done a really good job.”

After three consecutive wins in conference, it looks as if the Buckeyes have hit their stride as they prepare for a rematch with the Mountaineers.

Matta said OSU is clearly deeper, and guys such as seniors P.J. Hill and Jeremie Simmons add depth and experience this season, since they started last year.

“Obviously we would have loved having Evan [Turner] all the games this year,” junior guard Jon Diebler said. “It forces guys to elevate their game especially in aspects that maybe they aren’t used to doing.

“But now that he’s back, to keep playing at the level we’re at and adding a guy who is one of the best players in the country … you know it’s just a good feeling.”

Getting Turner back and having him play at such a high level again is a bonus for an Ohio State team that has quickly positioned itself back in the thick of the Big Ten.

Things seem to finally be falling back into place for the Buckeyes. Luckily, their most important games are still ahead of them.

“I think we obviously had to step up our game,” junior center Dallas Lauderdale said. “I don’t think we wanted to fall back and be complacent. We wanted to keep our game at a high level.”