Ohio State has launched a program that will put books into the hands of children throughout Columbus.

A brainchild of the OSU Office of Student Affairs, the initiative will deliver 25,000 books to 21 schools throughout the city by April 9.

The schools will continue to receive shipments of books until every child between kindergarten and fifth grade has a new book by the start of summer break.

“Reading is such a fundamental life skill and so important to overall educational achievement, and it is important for students to see themselves as readers from an early age,” said Javaune Adams-Gaston, vice president for Student Life. “Yet many children in our own community do not have even one book they can call their own.”

OSU students received an e-mail asking them to help the program by submitting the titles of books they enjoyed in elementary school.

The school received about 3,000 suggestions. Officials used the suggestions to choose six books, one for each grade, to send to the schools.

Adams-Gaston sent an e-mail Dec. 30 announcing the launch of the program. By Jan. 1, the program had already received e-mails from 57 students who signed up to donate to the program. Students can buy books to be donated for $5.

“Making a difference means making a move,” said D’Andra Mull, Student Life’s chief of staff. “Five dollars allows you to make a big move.”

Mull said the response from students and the community has been positive. She has also been working with OSU athletes and student organizations to get classroom sponsorships.

Students can donate to the project by visiting one of the 21 designated locations. Locations include the Recreation and Physical Activity Center, William Oxley Thompson Memorial Library’s Berry Café and several residence halls. Students who donate will receive a sticker to write a personal message for the student who will receive the book.

OSU students will also have the opportunity to go to a local school and read the books to children.

More information about the program, called Stories for Students from
Students, is available at studentlife.osu.edu/stories. To sign up to read to a class, send an e-mail [email protected]