Trivia contests are like support groups for random knowledge.

They are events in which knowing the year the first Super Bowl was played is celebrated, not criticized; identifying the shelf life of a Twinkie increases one’s score, not his cholesterol; and wagering all of one’s points on the final question shows confidence, not carelessness.

OUAB is giving students a chance to put their intelligence on display at its quarterly Grad/Prof Trivia Challenge. Anyone is welcome to register, but the event is geared toward graduate and professional students.

“We try and schedule events that create more of an atmosphere where grad/prof students can feel comfortable,” said Joel Pettigrew, a graduate administrative assistant at the Ohio Union.

People can sign up by e-mailing OUAB and providing their names and OSU usernames. As many as 10 contestants can be on a team, but students can also sign up individually and be placed randomly.

Like in any competition, the players do not always agree with certain responses.

“We’ve had some disagreements about correct answers in the past, but it is always good fun and we always get a really good turnout,” Pettigrew said.

Questions are pulled from a wide range of categories. Participants can expect a number of questions relating to pop culture and history, Pettigrew said.

Prizes will be given to the best-performing teams. In the past, OUAB has handed out gift cards for local restaurants, coffee shops and iTunes.

The trivia contest will be at the Faculty Club Friday, Jan. 29. Check-in begins at 5 p.m. and competition begins at 6.

Individuals should sign up by Thursday night. They can register by e-mailing [email protected].

Information about other OUAB events is available on the Web site ouab.osu.edu.