He has been to Iraq twice. Now, Staff Sgt. Richard Hayek, 31, balances a military career and life as an Ohio State student while serving as president of an organization called Vets 4 Vets.

While taking classes through the Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program, Hayek realized the difficulties military veterans find in making the transition to college life. They are older than most of the other students at the university, with experiences that set them apart from their colleagues, he said.

Communication styles can change from the military to the classroom, and veterans need to learn how to adapt.

“It’s almost like putting on a whole new persona,” Hayek said.

So he took the initiative last November to found a group that would help veterans transition back to school.

Vets 4 Vets implements a variety of resources to help students coming back from military duty. The group has plans to offer a transition assistance program and will send a “buddy” to help incoming military students begin their classes and college life, Hayek said.

Counseling services ­— to help with post traumatic stress, marriage and academics — are available for members of the group.

The organization has 50 members and welcomes anyone, not just veterans.

“Whatever [members] can bring to the table is what they’re going to get out of it,” Hayek said.

A social event planned for current and prospective members is scheduled for 8 p.m. Friday at McFadden’s Saloon in the South Campus Gateway. A monthly meeting will be held 6 p.m. Jan. 12 at the Knight House, and another social event will be held at 9 p.m. Jan. 23 at the O Patio and Grill. There will be two social events and one meeting each month.

In August or September, members will go to Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., to volunteer. Hayek said he hopes to provide other opportunities for volunteering at local veterans facilities as well.

Membership dues include a one-time fee of $20, which helps pay for T-shirts. The shirts will soon be for sale to anyone.
Interested individuals can find out more about upcoming events at osubuckeyevets.blogspot.com, and can contact Hayek at [email protected]