Ohio State sports fans can show their support for U.S. soldiers this week.

The OSU Department of Athletics is launching its Military Appreciation Week with tonight’s wrestling match against Michigan.

“The week is being held to show appreciation of all those who serve,” said Beth Malafa, assistant director of Fan Experience and Promotions at the Department of Athletics.

“It started with the men’s hockey team wanting to wear camouflage sweaters in support of the military, but then expanded to include other sports,” Malafa said.

The week’s events will honor everyone from veterans to those on active service, including OSU’s ROTC programs. All five branches of the military will be represented.

Fans can find the groups participating on the concourse at the events, where they can also write encouraging messages to deployed troops, Malafa said.

One of the groups that the Department of Athletics has worked with is the Wounded Warrior Project, which aims to support severely injured men and women of the armed services.

“They received an enormous amount of e-mail from soldiers who either wanted to participate or be a part of this week,” Malafa said. “We have had great response from our veterans groups, as well.”

Brendan Smith, a 2008 graduate of OSU and a Navy submarine officer, said Military Appreciation Week is a great reminder of the sacrifice that service members make.

“Troops spend a lot of time away from those they love in order to do their jobs,” Smith said. “As Buckeyes, we take our school pride wherever we go, and having the athletic department support keeps us close to home.”

At the games this week, fans can contribute to Operation Buckeye, a charity that sends packages to deployed troops. Malafa said each box sent will have 48 individually wrapped items, a buckeye and a note to the unit.

Fans can bring food, drink, hygiene and entertainment items for the boxes. A suggested listing can be found at ohiostatebuckeyes.com.
Malafa said the teams will help box and ship the collections. The goal is to have enough items to send 500 boxes overseas.

“Having deployed twice to Iraq, I know firsthand how exciting it is to receive packages from home,” said Cpl. Avi Zaffini, a 2009 OSU graduate in the Marines, “not just because of the benefits of the care items, but also because of the comfort, encouragement and feelings of support that accompany them.”

The Department of Athletics plans to make Military Appreciation Week an annual event that grows, Malafa said.

The games included are:

• Feb. 5, 7 p.m. Wrestling vs. Michigan

• Feb. 6, 7 p.m. Men’s volleyball vs. St. Francis

• Feb. 7, Noon Men’s basketball vs. Iowa

• Feb.11, 7:30 p.m. Women’s basketball vs. Purdue

• Feb. 13, 7 p.m. Men’s hockey vs. Alaska

• Feb. 13, 1 p.m. Men’s lacrosse vs. Villanova