In the first week of last year’s season, the Ohio State women’s lacross team lost their leading goal-scorer to a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

Brittney Zerhusen was looking to improve upon a great sophomore season, but with a torn ACL those hopes ended. In her sophomore season she started all 18 games and recorded 36 goals.

Zerhusen had her knee medically repaired and went through intensive rehab.

The hardest thing for Zerhusen was getting back in shape. For three months she was unable to run or make any cuts.

“It had been eight months [after the surgery] before I could play with the team,” Zerhusen said.

She went on to say at first that she was very nervous when running full speed and making cuts.

After playing with the team for a little bit, Zerhusen said she was able to play without thinking about her knee and if it would hold up.

Women’s lacrosse trainer Kristen Bretz said Zerhusen was able to get back to being healthy because of her work ethic.

Bretz said Zerhusen was a little ahead of schedule and now her knee is 100 percent healthy.

“She did a great job rehabbing,” coach Sue Stimmel said.

Zerhusen said it was bittersweet because she wasn’t able to play, but she was able to see the team do well. Although Zerhusen wasn’t able to play, she said she did benefit from her injury.

“You’re always upset when someone gets hurt but it can be a great learning experience,” Stimmel said.

She added that Zerhusen learned as much from watching as she would have learned from playing.

Stimmel called Zerhusen’s injury “crushing” because they weren’t sure how they would do without their leading scorer. The Buckeyes went on without Zerhusen and had others step up and lead the team.

Getting Zerhusen back will be an added weapon to the already loaded team. In the past two years the Buckeyes have had the American Lacrosse Conference Rookie of the Year.
In the 2008-2009 campaign, Kelly Haggerty was a Tewaaraton Award semifinalist.

Haggerty was fourth in points and seventh in overall scoring in the NCAA.

“I think we will do outstanding with the depth that we have,” Zerhusen said.