The OSU women’s hockey team seeks redemption in the first round of WCHA playoffs Feb. 26 through 28 in Madison, Wis., after ending last year’s season with a first round loss to the Badgers.

A Feb. 20 shootout victory against St. Cloud State gave the Buckeyes a weekend split and solidified their spot in taking on defending national champion Wisconsin.

With a best-of-three series, senior co-captain Rachel Davis said the team can get it done.
“We know what Wisconsin can do. We’ve played them four times already and we know what we can do,” Davis said. “Just knowing the potential of our team and the way we can play, just focusing on that is just a huge part.”

The Buckeyes played at Wisconsin in a two-game series back in October and another weekend series at home Jan. 29 and 30. Both series ended in splits.

Coach Jackie Barto said the team is well prepared for the playoff rematch this weekend.

“I think there’s extra motivation in that we’re returning back to the place that we went to last year. They ended our season there last year,” Barto said. “Our season is not completed yet, we still have work to do and goals to accomplish.”

With a new season and a “clean slate,” Barto said the variety of game experience this year will benefit the team.

“I think our team has really been in almost every situation we can be in this year. Whether we’ve come back or been ahead or whatever we might have seen on the ice,” Barto said. “I’m very confident in our team, we are on a mission to go to Wisconsin and … find a way to win two games.”

Both Barto and Davis agree the Buckeyes need to limit their time in the penalty box and focus on special teams.

“I think our power play and penalty kill have to be difference-makers this weekend. And if we can stay out of the box that will help take off pressure off our penalty kill,” Barto said. “Part of our game plan is to attack Wisconsin in every zone, just be aggressive and take away their time and space. When we’re aggressive, we’re playing our best.”

With an increased average of shots-on-goal toward the end of the season, Barto said the team needs to continue to take as many quality shots as possible and to crash the front of the net so “good things will happen in terms of our scoring chances.”

Compared to last season, Davis said the team is better equipped to take on the Badgers.

“I think last year we peaked at the wrong time. This year, we started off good and we just kept going up,” Davis said. “We’re peaking right at the right time and we just seem to be getting better and better each week.”

A change in venue leaves the Buckeyes playing on Olympic-size ice, not the same surface they played on in their last visit to Wisconsin. But both Barto and Davis think the advantage lies with the Buckeyes.

“We’re confident that it’s going to be a benefit to our team because we’re a good skating team, especially with our forwards,” Barto said. “We’re fast and dynamic. I feel like the extra ice is going to play positively for us.”

Although the team was unable to practice on a larger ice surface this past week, Barto said they will get to practice on the ice twice before the first game Friday night.

“It’s a bigger ice surface, but it almost feels like a home game for us because there’s going to be a lot of people there and it’s going to feel like the OSU ice rink,” Davis said.

In order to prepare for the larger surface, the team has been doing conditioning drills all week.

“You can just tell in the third period our team, compared to other teams, is in better shape,” Davis said. “We have the wind and other teams don’t.”

With a number of talented players this year, Barto said the game is an opportunity for the team to shine.

“I honestly think our two captains, [Raelyn LaRocque] and Rachel Davis, I mean they’re going to be huge for us,” Barto said. “They’ve been the cornerstones of the program all year. I think our top two lines … those two lines should be key.”

Freshman forward Minttu Tuominen returns Friday after playing with the Canadian Olympic Team. Barto said Tuominen’s presence will bring it all together for the Buckeyes.

“We’re getting [Tuominen] back. That’s going to jumpstart us, having her energy back in the lineup and her skill,” Barto said.

If the Buckeyes win two over the weekend, they will move on to the WCHA Faceoff Finals in Minneapolis March 6 for the semifinal game.