The Buckeyes added 19 players in the 2010 recruiting class, but none might excite the fans as much as Roderick Smith.

The Big Ten is a conference that has traditionally been centered around powerful running games. With Smith, Ohio State should continue that trend.

The 6-foot-3-inch, 220 pound running back from Fort Wayne, Ind. has many fans dreaming of another Chris “Beanie” Wells.

Wells led the Buckeyes to two Big Ten Championships in his time as a starter at OSU, and some believe Smith could make as big an impact.

The No. 6 ranked running back in the country by Rivals.com shares many of the same characteristics that described Wells when he came out of Akron Garfield in 2006. His special blend of skills could allow him to make an early impression at OSU.

“He is a big running back, kind of in the mold of Chris ‘Beanie’ Wells,” said Kevin Noon, managing editor of Buckeyegrove.com. “He’s got the ability to run over you, but he doesn’t have to do that because he’s got the speed as well and he’s got the moves.”

While he possesses excellent size for his position, one thing he doesn’t lack is speed. Most backs of his size often lack break-away ability, but that doesn’t affect Smith. If he can get to the second level, he can make the opposition pay. His pass-catching ability is also said to be an added plus.

The Buckeyes are well-equipped at the running back position. They return everyone, including Brandon Saine and Dan “Boom” Herron. Jordan Hall, Jaamal Berry and Jermil Martin will return to add depth behind the veteran leaders.

Although Smith is the kind of player who could make an early impact at the college level, the log jam OSU is experiencing at his position could cause him to have to wait his turn.

He isn’t the only running back in the 2010 class, as fellow recruit Carlos Hyde is another player who can make an impact for OSU. Hyde was originally in the 2009 class, but instead of enrolling at OSU, he spent a season at Fork Union Military Academy in Virginia.

Because of his extra year of development, Hyde might have the first opportunity to make his presence known in the OSU backfield.

“I wouldn’t expect to see [Smith] jump right into the fray at first,” Noon said. “With Hyde being a year older because he went to the military academy, but I think Roderick Smith will really figure into the future plans after this season.”

Noon said that Smith could be seen as a potential redshirt with the amount of depth OSU has, but that he will get the opportunity to prove himself.

“[OSU coach Jim] Tressel has long said that ‘if you can help, I will play you,'” Noon said. “But there is going to be just a glut at running back and so many different running backs, and [with] two guys who are so similar, it would [be] difficult to keep two guys like that and waste a redshirt.”

While many look at Smith and think “Beanie,” others take a look at the highly touted back and his film and think “Eddie.”

In a scouting report by Rivals.com, recruiting analyst Barry Every said the player that Smith most reminds him of isn’t the great No. 28, but more the Heisman trophy winning No. 27.

“He should remind most Big Ten fans of a young Eddie George and hopefully have a similar impact.” Every said.

The truth is, Smith is more lengthy and lean, more in the mold of George than perhaps Wells.

“I think people compare him to Beanie more right now because he is fresher in their minds,” Noon said. “I will say that from watching tape of him, he has more of an upright-running style that would remind me more of Eddie. It’s very difficult to compare a player who hasn’t had a single carry in college football to either a Heisman trophy winner or an NFL first round draft pick. I think that you could probably see a little bit of both of them in what Roderick Smith brings to the table.”

If Smith can draw comparisons to either of the great OSU backs after his career here is over, Buckeye fans would be quite happy.