For anyone who ever wanted to see a chimp up close but couldn’t afford a trip to Africa, look no further than the Extreme Screen at COSI in “Jane Goodall’s Wild Chimpanzees.”

The film is currently screening and examines Goodall’s work observing chimpanzees in Gombe National Park in Tanzania.

“She probably has done more for the study of primatology than any other scientist,” said Scott McGraw, Ohio State’s undergraduate anthropology adviser.

Goodall arrived in Gombe in 1960 and her observations disproved numerous theories about chimps.

Scientists differentiated humans from other primates because they use tools, but her first year in Gombe, Goodall saw a chimp making and using a tool. A chimp, whom Goodall affectionately named David Greybeard, stripped a stick of its leaves and dipped it into a termite mount to extract the insects.

In the 1970s, she witnessed chimpanzee groups warring with each other, another behavior thought to be exclusively human.

After 25 years studying in Gombe, Goodall published a book about her work called “The Chimpanzees of Gombe: Patterns of Behavior,” which earned her worldwide acclaim and fame.

She now spends her time lecturing on behalf of the Jane Goodall Institute about great ape protection and habitat preservation.

“She’s not only done extraordinary science but she’s brought that to the public … and the COSI film is a great example of that,” McGraw said.

Chris Hurtubise is a spokeswoman for COSI. She said she chose to show the film because chimps are engaging for viewers of all age levels, and because Goodall is a good role model.

“You walk away with a positive feeling, and you feel you know her,” Hurtubise said. “She’s a really neat lady.”

Goodall was an unusual choice to study chimps. She came from a wealthy family in England, and her small build made her an unlikely candidate to brave the wild African jungle.

However, Goodall’s personality continues to endear her to audiences.
“I can’t tell you how many students have come to me saying they’re interested in anthropology and primates because of Jane Goodall,” McGraw said.

The film’s message fits with COSI’s emphasis on energy and the environment, Hurtubise said.

Goodall educates people globally about conserving natural resources to protect both human and animal life.

“I think for students, its a great opportunity to see scientists at work,” Hurtubise said. “It is much different than reading a textbook.”

COSI presents the film on the John Glenn Extreme Screen which is seven stories tall and 10 times larger than a normal theater screen.

“There’s no comparison with a DVD,” Hurtubise said. “Its so much more impactful, so much more emotional than you could ever have on DVD.”

The massive screen and intimate camera give access to an area of the world that is disappearing and impossible to observe in a zoo, Hurtubise said.

“For my money, there’s no more interesting group to study than primates,” McGraw said.

Tickets are $6 with exhibit admission and $7.50 for film admittance only.
The film runs until May 9.