Columbus’ own idol got silenced this week.

Bosa Mora, 22, of Columbus, was ousted from “American Idol” on the episode that aired Tuesday night.

Though he had beaten out thousands of others in the singing competition following his Boston audition, his Hollywood round audition didn’t earn him a place in the top 25.

The contestants were called on stage in groups to sing individually. Mora tried to meet the judges’ expectations with his vocal skills, but even with the aid of his keyboard it wasn’t enough.

Instead, the judges decided he couldn’t move further in the competition, sending him back to the Buckeye state.

Judge Randy Jackson joked that people would be able to see Mora performing at a Holiday Inn in Columbus “off Route 52.”

In a previous interview with The Lantern, Mora had said he simply wanted to learn from his experience on the show. Following his Hollywood performance, he said he was grateful for the opportunity to compete.

“I believe I did well,” Mora said. “I’m looking forward to continuing my path as an artist and getting my music out to the people.”

Though he didn’t make it big, some local fans were sure to keep track of him during Tuesday night’s show.

“I wouldn’t say I was rooting for him any more than the other contestants,” said Andrea Lodico, a fourth-year in radiologic technology, “but I did want him to do well, seeing as how he was local.”

Lodico said she was trying to find Mora on the screen throughout the show. Rachel Bryant, a 2008 OSU grad who has followed the show for the past seven seasons, said she was also watching for Mora.

“It’s just cool that somebody from Columbus made it that far,” Bryant said. “I knew before the show that it would be hard for most of the contestants to move on.”

Bryant said she is used to seeing contestants sent home.

“That’s what the show is about; it’s a competition,” she said. “Even though Bosa is a great singer [who is] far better than most other people, it takes a lot more to be the winner of ‘American Idol.'”