The NCAA has determined that the Michigan football program was out of compliance with practice time rules under coach Rich Rodriguez, who incoming athletic director David Brandon declared would remain the school’s coach.

Brandon announced the NCAA’s findings Tuesday, but stated that there were “no surprises,” despite the fact that the report stated that the Michigan athletic department failed to ensure that the program was complying with NCAA regulations.

The university has 90 days to respond to the results and will appear at an NCAA hearing in August.

The NCAA has been investigating allegations that Michigan players exceeded NCAA limits with practice time or other football-related activities.

The allegations came about after the Detroit Free Press reported the claims of a handful of Michigan players who said the players exceeded the limits during practices and workouts in 2008 and 2009.

The university conducted an internal investigation and is looking into self-imposed sanctions. The internal audit revealed that Rodriguez and his staff failed to file forms that kept logs on the amount of time players spent on football.

Michigan’s report did not find issues of noncompliance. Brandon attributed the dicey situation to a “breakdown of communication.”

Michigan has finished 3-9 and 5-7 in Rodriguez’s two seasons at the helm.