During an ESPN telecast of a Penn State game earlier in the year, Nittany Lion guard Talor Battle was asked about his experience on the 2009 USA World University Games Team.

Battle responded by saying that some of the games were pretty difficult because he was the only player on his team that was capable of scoring.

Evan Turner, Battle’s friend and teammate on that team, looks at the situation a little differently.

“He was a point guard that didn’t pass,” the Ohio State guard joked.

Tonight, two of the Big Ten’s best players will get a chance to prove their side of the argument when the Buckeyes play Penn State at the Schottenstein Center.

The Nittany Lions come into the game as the only Big Ten team without a conference victory. They are 0-9 thus far, but coach Thad Matta said they are not to be taken lightly

“As you look at Penn state, I’ve said this watching all the tape that I’ve watched, they’re right there,” Matta said. “They’ve got very, very good players.”

At first glance, Matta’s statements may seem like little more than your typical “coach-speak.” However, the Nittany Lions have been close in a few of their nine losses, including an overtime loss at Wisconsin, a game Penn State led by as many as 16 points.

Buckeye junior David Lighty said that, given Penn State’s recent struggles, they might arrive in Columbus with something to prove.

“They were up big at Wisconsin and we were never up at Wisconsin,” Lighty said. “They’ve shown that they’re good, but they just haven’t had things fall their way yet.

Regardless of Penn State’s record, the Buckeyes know they must find a way to slow down Battle. The Nittany Lions’ best player comes into the game with the second-highest scoring average in the conference at almost 19 points a game, and is a threat to score every time he touches the ball.

“He can score in so many different ways [with] his range, his quickness and his speed,” Matta said. “It takes a great team effort to attempt to guard him.”

Fortunately for Ohio State, as Penn State has been sputtering of late, the Buckeyes might be playing their best basketball of the season. Following a 1-3 start in Big Ten play, they have won five conference games in a row, putting them in a tie for second in the conference standings.

However, with Michigan State at 9-0, the Buckeyes would need a few Spartan losses in order to have a real chance at a regular season conference championship. Though a title seems unlikely, it’s something that Lighty said he and the rest of the team haven’t ruled out.

“We can’t control what Michigan State does, but we hope they lose so we could maybe get a Big Ten Championship,” Lighty said. “It’s something we all want to do.”

In fact, Lighty said the Buckeyes have their sights set even further.

“It’s something Evan has been preaching since before the season,” Lighty said. “We don’t want to come to Ohio State and leave without leaving our mark.

“A Big Ten Championship is the start, and then hopefully an NCAA Final Four run.”