Combine ballet, jazz and modern dance with gymnastics, acrobatics and martial arts and you get Diavolo, a touring dance company which will bring its high-energy performance to Palace Theatre.

Diavolo’s performances are broken into pieces, each piece with its own message. However, the pieces do not have traditional storylines like “Romeo and Juliet,” Diavolo dancer Philip Flickinger said.

“The messages are what the audience is seeing. We just paint a picture of different emotional landscapes,” Flickinger said. “It is a different story for each dancer too, how they interpret it.”

One theme that is consistent throughout Diavolo’s performance is teamwork, dancer Shauna Martinez said.

“Teamwork is something that helps you get through the day,” Martinez said. “We have lots of eye contact and embraces, letting each other know that.”

Although teamwork may be an important theme to convey, it may be even more important for the performers to practice in their acrobatic movement. Flies, catches and lifts require a high level of trust.

“We’re mixing the concept of dance with gymnastics,” Flickinger said. “We incorporate risk in everything that we do.”

The moving sets that the dancers perform on add to this risk. Giant wheels, spinning ladders, doors and benches are just a few of the props that create the sets, Martinez said.

In one piece, “Trajectoire,” company members perform on a huge rocker, creating the image of a boat rocking back and forth. Flickinger likens “Trajectoire” to a voyage through the different stages of one’s life.

“You can see a lot more of the jazz and ballet in ‘Trajectoire,'” Martinez said. “But we also combine lifts and flies off the rockers. They require a lot of discipline and air awareness.”

The performers call “Trajectoire” “the dessert” because it is the longest and most familiar piece for the dancers and it is usually the final piece of the performance, Flickinger said.

The full course of acts before the dessert offers even more types of movement, including break-dancing or b-boy moves, Martinez said. Those who don’t enjoy conventional ballet and jazz dancing will appreciate the variety.

“It’s not high-brow art. It’s not creating abstract images. … It’s just doing something that is really physical,” Flickinger said.

Diavolo will perform at Palace Theatre Friday, March 19, at 8 p.m. Tickets range from $17.50 to $34.50 and can be purchased at ticketmaster.com or by calling the CAPA ticket office at 614-469-0939.