With the Big Ten Tournament set to begin, let’s take a look at how each Big Ten team stacks up in the battle for NCAA Tournament entry:

Purdue (26-4, 14-4)
In college basketball, teams can feel the effect of a major injury off the court too. Even if Purdue wins the Big Ten Tournament, it remains unlikely that the Boilermakers would receive a No. 1 seed mainly because their second-leading scorer, Robbie Hummel, is out for the season with a torn ACL. Purdue suffered a loss to Michigan State that allowed both the Spartans and Ohio State to obtain a share of the Big Ten title. Since that uninspiring defeat, the Boilermakers have been viewed with a scornful eye by many. Still, Purdue will likely wind up as a No. 2 or No. 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Ohio State (24-7, 14-4)
OSU hasn’t played since Mar. 2, yet its national perception seems to have increased even without the team taking the floor. The Buckeyes clinched a share of the Big Ten title with its win over Illinois in the regular season finale, and Thad Matta’s crew has been discussed as a candidate for a No. 1 seed. However, that slot appears to be Duke’s to lose. Even so, the Buckeyes should expect to earn a No. 2 seed, or a No. 3 spot if they falter early in the conference tournament.

Michigan State (24-7, 14-4)
The Spartans don’t stand to gain or lose a whole lot, regardless of their Big Ten Tournament fate. Many experts have them penciled in as a No. 2 or No. 3 seed. Too many teams stand in the way in their quest for a No. 1, while few teams from major conferences experienced as much in-conference success as Sparty. A Big Ten Tournament title would probably earn Tom Izzo’s squad a No. 2, but the Spartans should expect nothing worse than a No. 3 seed.

Wisconsin (23-7, 13-5)
Wisconsin continues to quietly sneak up on the rest of the Big Ten. The Badgers won their last four games and have a chance to deliver a costly blow to Illinois’ March Madness hopes. ESPN bracketologist Joe Lunardi currently sees Wisconsin as a No. 4 seed, but that could improve or worsen, depending on the Badgers’ output this weekend in Indianapolis. Wisconsin has a pair of signature non-conference victories, knocking off ACC foes Duke and Maryland. If Bo Ryan’s bunch is hoisting the Big Ten Tournament trophy Sunday, the committee might have to vault Wisconsin to a No. 3 seed.

Illinois (18-13, 10-8)
Could the Illini fall apart at a worse time? Illinois has dropped five of its last six games, and a loss in today’s first-round matchup against Wisconsin could trigger a burst bubble in Champaign. The Illini do have wins against Vanderbilt and at Clemson, but those probably won’t be enough to squeak them into the NCAA Tournament without a win or two in the conference tourney.

Minnesota (18-12, 9-9)

The Golden Gophers probably need at least two victories this weekend to be able to feel comfortable about their chances of going dancing. Minnesota faces Penn State in its opening round matchup — the Nittany Lions finished last in the Big Ten with a 3-15 conference record.