Ohio State’s Marching Band has a trademark tradition performed at every game known as “Script Ohio.”

The band starts in a block formation and unwinds to form a cursive spelling of the word “Ohio.” The Best Damn Band in the Land also performs a “quad-Script” which consists of the word “Ohio” spelled out to every side of the stadium.

During OSU’s home opener against Navy on Sept. 5, 2009, third-year Matt Berndsen had the chance to lead his first Script as the assistant drum major.

“I was pretty nervous right before because I kept thinking to myself how bad I would make the band look if I screwed it up,” he said. “But then I realized how much time we spent practicing and I calmed down.”

Berndsen had to patiently wait in the end zone while the Marching Band alumni performed a few songs.

“We kneeled for about five minutes, but it felt more like five hours,” he said.

Berndsen remembers strutting out to dot the I, but “everything in between was just a blur.” he said.

“It didn’t set in that it was actually happening until I looked up and saw all four scripts on the south end zone scoreboard and got chills,” Berndsen said.

Berndsen’s role as assistant drum major to TBDBITL goes beyond game day.

Berndsen helps train the other six drum major hopefuls that make up D-row, as well as being in charge of all 33 alternates from the other 16 instrument rows in the band.

“If the head drum major gets hurt, Matt has to go in at a moment’s notice to take his place,” said Jon Waters, assistant director of the Ohio State University Marching and Athletic Bands.

Berndsen also performs in postgame shows, leads part of the band in a double- or quad-Script Ohio, gives turning commands during a parade and is currently helping train high school drum majors twice a week.

“Marching is extremely physical, and even more so for the drum majors,” said Jon Woods, director of the OSU and Athletic Bands.
“Matt strives for excellence in marching and twirling. He is a tireless worker that practices constantly and is very dedicated to OSUMB.”

During practice in the fall, Berndsen splits his time between teaching the other members of D-row twirling and marching skills, practicing on his own and watching head drum major Josh Halter’s routine to learn it.

“I’ve worked with Josh for four years,” he said. “Everything gets passed down by word; there is no book or manual on how to be a drum major.”

Halter is in his second year as head drum major. The fourth-year economics major believes that the step up from D-row to being assistant drum major is a “breath of fresh air,” but not the ultimate goal.

“You enjoy being the assistant drum major but are still working hard, always comparing yourself to the head drum major so that hopefully you can earn that position,” Halter said.

Berndsen attended Columbus West High School where he was the drum major for three years. It was during this time that he found out his father, Doug Berndsen, a 1977 Columbus West High School graduate, also had been drum major at the high school.

Following high school, Berndsen was a member of D-row for two years before achieving his current position as assistant drum major.
Berndsen’s height of 5-foot-5-inches has certain advantages and disadvantages to his role as assistant drum major.

“The backbend is a little easier because I don’t have to bend as far to reach the ground,” Berndsen said. “But it is harder for me to strut because my legs aren’t as long and when I twirl I have to make myself look taller because Ohio Stadium is a big place.”

Despite these issues, Berndsen doesn’t let his height discrepancy bother him.

“I don’t think height matters as much as athletic ability,” Berndsen said.

The hospitality management major is confident about his chances at being the head drum major next year, even though seven people will be auditioning for the top spot.

“Matt has the correct attitude to succeed in and out of band,” Halter said. “He conveys what the directors want, and the band has really taken a liking to him.”

Until tryouts in May, Berndsen will spend 20 hours a week practicing his marching, twirling, strutting and backbends.

D-row members are only allowed to be head drum major for two years.

If he makes the cut for next year and achieves the position of head drum major, Berndsen is willing to postpone his graduation and the dream of owning a restaurant or bar in order to complete a potential second year of being the head drum major.

“I want to keep the standard that other drum majors have set before, but also to raise the bar and improve the program,” Berndsen said. “Most importantly, I want to uphold Ohio State’s traditions.”