On Feb. 3 the Columbus Blue Jackets created an NHL shockwave by firing coach Ken Hitchcock.

Exactly one month later, the Jackets altered the team’s makeup even more by trading away five of their players in a flurry of deadline deals.

As the 3 p.m. league trade deadline neared, general manager Scott Howson burned through the minutes on his cell phone plan, shipping defenseman Milan Jurcina to Washington, forward Raffi Torres to Buffalo, forward Frederik Modin to Los Angeles, defenseman Mathieu Roy to Florida and forward Alexandre Picard to Phoenix.

For a team that has struggled for the majority of the season, the reasoning for the roster shakeup is clear: saving money and maneuvering for the future.

In exchange for Jurcina, the Jackets received a conditional sixth round pick in the upcoming NHL entry draft.

Buffalo sent Columbus 26-year-old defenseman Nathan Paetsch and a second round pick to acquire Torres.

The Jackets obtained the rights to forward Matt Rust from the Panthers in exchange for Roy. Rust, 20, currently laces up his skates for the University of Michigan.

For dealing Modin to the Kings, the Jackets received a conditional seventh round pick from Los Angeles.

In exchange for Picard — Columbus’ first round draft selection in 2004 — the Jackets acquired 24-year-old forward Chad Kolarik. Kolarik spent four seasons at the University of Michigan.

The Jackets currently sit in last place in the Central Division with 61 points.