R&B artist Erykah Badu’s newest album is just as relaxing as the psychedelic album art would suggest. “New Amerykah Part Two: Return of the Ankh” is so laid back that it makes 2008’s relatively relaxed “New Amerykah Part One: 4th World War” seem forceful by comparison.

Behind the change in pace is a change in subject matter. Badu lays off the political rhetoric of her last release and focuses part two on romance and relationships. Although the songs don’t always shine on the topic happily, Badu’s voice remains relaxed, never quickening to reflect agitation.

The instrumentation adds to the effect. The beats of the drums are simple and slow, and the twinkling of piano and harp augments Badu’s calming voice. Occasional blips of a theremin, an electronic instrument, and other samples contribute to the progressive nature of Badu’s performance.

“Turn Me Away (Get Munny)” is the grooviest of the tracks, and “Out My Mind, Just In Time” closes out the album nicely with an extended sonic summary of the album.

Although the album might not be as exciting as Badu’s personal life (she was recently arrested in Dallas for public nudity near the infamous grassy knoll), it provides a soothing alternative to the often overblown beats in hip-hop and R&B.