Pets and pet lovers from all over the state will be taking over Franklin County Veterans Memorial at the 16th Annual Columbus Pet Expo.

This year’s event will be in all three of the venue’s halls and will cover more than 100,000 square feet. The expo will have a variety of events including seminars, shows and vendors.

Although dogs are the most popular pet at the event, the expo will have stuff for all types of animals, said Mythanne Reno, Show Director.

Educational seminars will help promote positive pet ownership, she said. Special features will be an “Ask a Vet” booth and guest Joel Silverman from the Animal Planet Network, who will assist in dog training.

The North American Kennel Club will be having a two-day rare breed dog show, Reno said. She said the show is going to have rare-breed dogs from all over the country. It will run from open to close Saturday and Sunday, and will have a special guest judge from Italy.

There will be contests at the event, Reno said. Prizes will be given during the “Dress Up Your Pet” contest, and there will also be the Columbus Pet Expo Fashion show.

“Every year I try to change the entertainment to keep it fun and fresh,” Reno said.

She said some of the event’s long-standing vendors will be returning this year. Some fan-favorite leash, collar, pet clothing and pet-food vendors will be in attendance with their new products, she said.

More than 40 pet rescue and adoption agencies will be present. They will be providing adoption options for cats and dogs. People interested in adopting can visit the pet adoption area at the expo for information on the adoption process, Reno said.

“We hope to have 200 or more animals adopted out this year,” she said.

Bob Evans is helping to sponsor Family Fun Night and the Kid’s World area of the expo. On Friday, kids ages 12 and under who eat at Bob Evans’ restaurants and ask for a coloring menu will receive a coupon for free admission to the expo.

Bob Evans will also be giving all kids who attend the expo a voucher for a free kids meal at Bob Evans’ restaurants. They expect to give away 25,000 vouchers.

Reno said that people planning on attending the event could go to columbuspetexpo.com and enter to win a year’s supply of pet food.
It takes a year of preparation to put the expo together, Reno said. She said three full-time staff members and a few part-time staff members start planning for the following expo a few weeks after the current year’s expo ends.

The majority of the funding for the event comes from sponsors, vendors and an advertising budget, she said. Along with her team of staff members, Reno said about 50 to 60 volunteers will help out during this year’s event.

The Columbus Pet Expo is March 26 to 28 at Vets Memorial on 300 W. Broad St. Tickets are sold at 72 Kroger locations and on the expo Web site. Adult tickets are $11 and $8 for children and seniors. Children under 3 are free.