Republican congressman and former presidential candidate Ron Paul made rounds at Ohio State on Monday.

He first appeared at a 4 p.m. press conference at the Faculty Club, before heading to the Newport Music Hall to speak to a large crowd of students in attendance at the free event. Paul answered questions from the media at the press conference and discussed issues facing the nation.

The topics ranged from subjects Paul has become renown for addressing, such as central banking and military spending, to more recent issues such as cybersecurity. When asked what graduating college students should do to help improve the economy, Paul said they should just try to get by.

“Their first priority is getting a job and surviving,” Paul said, explaining that making a living is essential to recovery. “The most important thing is taking care of one’s self.”

Paul said that speaking on college campuses was one of the more enjoyable parts of being a politician.

“I enjoy going around the country and speaking to the students,” Paul said. He was positive about high numbers of students attending his events. “That delights me because of the burden placed on that generation.”

Later that evening, the Newport was filled to near its 1,700-person capacity, and some students were lined up well in advance of the 6 p.m. opening.

The evening began with musical entertainment from Jordan Page, a guitarist who sang songs promoting peace and civil rights. Following the performance, Foxnews.com’s Andrew “Judge” Napolitano broadcast his show “Freedom Watch” live from the stage.

When Paul took the stage a little after 8, the crowd reached its loudest volume.

“There’s reason to be pessimistic about Washington,” Paul said. “But the good news is outside of Washington, and that reason is right here.”

When a roar of disapproval rang out at Paul’s mention of a visit to Michigan, the crowd was calmed only after Paul said, “I won’t bring that up again.”

Throughout his speech, Paul spoke to the crowd on a variety of issues, frequently stopping to allow for roars of approval. At the end, he left the crowd with words of encouragement.

“There’s reason to be optimistic,” he said. “I go to the universities and see young people involved. Young people need to be involved in the revolution.”