Everyone’s circumstances are different. It’s probably unfair to judge another’s decision without a full scope of the factors under consideration.

But I’ll jump to this conclusion: It’s time for athletes to start seeking more accurate advice, or stop listening to outsiders altogether.

Not that the New York Times is hot after my column, but even with a year as sports editor under my belt, I’m certainly not eyeing a premature leap to the pros when I finish my junior year in June. I’ll remain in school, continue to progress as a journalist and weigh my options after I earn my degree next year.

If only college athletes followed suit and stopped peering into crystal balls.

A case can be made for just about any athlete skipping a year or two of eligibility for the chance to get a fat paycheck, as long as that payday is “in the bank.”

No one’s criticizing Evan Turner for forgoing his senior season. The junior suffered a broken back in December and is a lock to be a top-three pick in June’s NBA Draft.

We’ve even come to accept the players that use the college scene as a formality. Let’s not kid ourselves; if no rule mandated it, John Wall would not have attended Kentucky.

But since that regulation exists, Wall appeased David Stern and suited up in blue and white for a few months. It’s safe to say that no one was shocked when the freshman declared for the NBA shortly after the Wildcats were bounced from the NCAA Tournament.

Turner and Wall are not the issue. Props to them for excelling athletically to the point in which they don’t need a full four years. But the fad of brushing aside eligibility has spread way too far.

Players considering entering the NBA Draft have until May 8 to withdraw their names. In other words, hordes of unprepared kids have 10 days until Armageddon. Their fate will be decided based upon whether they objectively compare their measurables to the draft’s competition or if they heed the twisted advice of greedy agents who want “I”s dotted, “T”s crossed and cash paid.

Take a look at some of the early entries for this year’s draft.

Florida junior Alex Tyus averaged 11.8 points and 6.9 rebounds for the 21-13 Gators. He eclipsed 20 points just three times all season. And at 6-feet-8-inches, Tyus doesn’t carry a large enough frame to excite front offices.

Seton Hall’s Jeff Robinson might be calling it a collegiate career after a junior season in which he averaged 12.2 points and 5.8 rebounds. Robinson topped 17 points just twice all season, and is an undersized forward at 6-feet-6-inches.

Guard Eniel Polynice from Mississippi befuddles me the most. The junior scored just 8.8 points per game for the Rebels, never topping 17 points and never sniffing double digit totals for rebounds or assists in any contest. How he could possibly consider himself ready and talented enough for the NBA is baffling.

Now, each of these players (and there are plenty more to choose from) might have extenuating circumstances. It’s near impossible to pinpoint exactly how much can be gained from an additional year of seasoning. And it’s certainly a wise play to test the waters.

But it’s a dangerous game. The more effort an athlete puts forth in trying to determine his draft stock, the more attached that player becomes to the idea of going pro.

Another year of classes and homework and exams might be painful, but having a degree will ease the pain suffered when Stern fails to utter their names on draft night.

Athletes improve with more experience. For those not talented enough to take their own version of the John Wall Kentucky vacation, staying in school can’t hurt. I’m pretty sure the New York Times would agree.