In high school, Daniel Herron acquired the nickname “Boom” because when he came up to the line carrying the ball, he would blow it up.

Ohio State fans can only hope they will be yelling that nickname after each of Herron’s carries this upcoming season.

“Boom” is not the first Herron to experience success on the football field, however. David, his older brother, was a linebacker for Michigan State before signing with the Minnesota Vikings and most recently, the Kansas City Chiefs.

For Herron, having a sibling that has already experienced football at the collegiate level has been helpful throughout his own career with the Buckeyes.

“It has helped with him being older and going through college before me,” he said. “He has definitely told me a lot. What to do. What not to do. All the right decisions to make.”

Giving advice has been a one-way street, as “Boom” said it’s hard to tell a professional athlete what to do. The brothers critique each other’s games and call from week-to-week.

“It’s hard for me to try to give him advice, because he’s the older brother,” said Herron. “He gives me all types of advice, watching my games, calling me and telling me what I can do better. He just tries to help me out however he can.”

Herron began his OSU career sitting out a season with a redshirt, and he uses that experience to encourage teammates who are in the same situation.

“If I could go back, I would definitely stay redshirt. I tell all of the guys that in the long run, they’ll be glad,” he said. “As a redshirt you get a great opportunity to look at the other guys and learn from them.”

Last season, Herron assumed the running back position that had been vacated by Chris “Beanie” Wells while sharing carries with Brandon Saine. He finished the 2009 season with 13 touchdowns and 600 yards, which he felt was an underachievement.

“I wasn’t too satisfied with last season,” Herron said. “With me getting hurt, that kind of pushed me back, and then I missed a couple of games. I think I didn’t play to the best of my ability. I just wasn’t impressed with my performance.”

In the midst of preparing for his junior year, Herron finds himself already looking ahead to next season.

“Next year Brandon will be gone and there will be a lot of guys following in my footsteps,” he said. “I have to be a leader. I’m ready to be a leader.”