Although the opening of the Ohio Union unveiled two establishments that serve alcohol, some neighboring off-campus bars said they are not worried about it affecting their businesses.

Paul Neikirk of Bernie’s Bagels and Deli, an eatery and distillery on High Street, does not foresee a change in customers at his bar.

“We’ve been here 35 years,” said Neikirk, a Bernie’s employee since 1984. “I doubt [the Union] will affect us.”

Although he thinks the Union is a “great addition” to campus, Neikirk does not think the Union’s alcohol purveyors, Woody’s Tavern and Sloopy’s Diner, will be hot spots for students.

“Unless an event is there, I don’t think it will be a destination point,” he said.

Dan Cabuno, kitchen manager of High Street’s Buffalo Wings and Rings echoed Neikirk. He said he felt the Union bars would not have a long-term effect on off-campus establishments.

“It might affect us in the beginning,” Cabuno said. “It’ll take time to see once the novelty wears off.”

Sloopy’s Diner serves all Ohio beer and wine from 11 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. Monday through Sunday. Although the diner does not serve straight shots of liquor, it does offer cocktails, said Julian Giardello, Sloopy’s operations manager.

The bar in Woody’s Tavern stocks only Ohio domestic beer and wine and is open from 11 a.m. to 12 a.m. Monday through Sunday. It stays open an extra hour on Saturdays.

Woody’s bartender, Coleman Sanders, said business has been busy so far.

“We ran out of Buckeye Beer opening day,” said Sanders, a third-year in communication.

Although the Union bars close earlier than Bernie’s and Wings and Rings, their lower draft prices give them a leg up on the competition. Both Woody’s and Sloopy’s have drafts as low as $1.75. Bernie’s and Wings and Rings have drafts starting at $2.

But it is not really a competition that the Union is looking for. Giardello said it is the idea that patrons can buy a drink before or after a showing at the U.S. Bank Theater next to Sloopy’s.

“Our goal was to promote responsible drinking,” Giardello said.  “We’re not the place to come for last call.”