An exhibition on the history of the Ohio State University District will open Saturday.

The “History Shared, History Saved” project will display numerous artifacts from the district and the collected stories of current and former residents.

One of the oldest items to be displayed is a literary magazine published by Indianola Junior High School in the 1920s.

The object was found in the possessions of a woman who was being moved into an assisted living facility, said Emily Foster, chair of the University District Organization’s archive committee. The woman’s daughter donated the magazine to the committee’s growing collection.

Most of the items in the committee’s collection are donations like this, Foster said.

The items are intended to show the long history of the University District.

“We’re trying to capture its unique sense of place,” Foster said.
“Whatever district you’re living on, a lot of other people have lived there over the past 100 years.”

The exhibit, located in the Northwood High Building at 2231 N. High St., will be held from 4 to 7 p.m.

The opening reception will have food, and four panelists will talk about living in the district.

Joyce Hughes, one of the panelists, still lives in the North Sixth Street house her parents purchased in 1947.

William Riley, a former OSU physics professor, will also speak about his experience living in the University District.

Another panelist was a community organizer during the 60s and 70s, and the final panelist is a member of the Ohio Historical Society.

The exhibit will remain in the Northwood High Building until April 30.
After that, the archive committee hopes to have the collection
catalogued and archived by the Ohio Historical Society.