Hole fans from the band’s heyday might be disappointed. That’s not to say the album is bad. In fact, those who disliked the group’s 90’s albums might want to give “Nobody’s Daughter” a shot because the difference is dramatic.

Whether it was her several stints in rehab in the 12 years since the band released an album or maybe just because she’s now 45 years old, vocalist Courtney Love opted to switch musical gears. Most of the album is strongly acoustic, a change in pace from Hole’s previous grungy punk approach. Original guitarist Eric Erlandson did not return, allowing for the new dynamic. Bassist Melissa Auf der Maur returns however.

For the most part, the approach works. Love’s voice is as raw as ever and conveys the same angst-driven appeal, merely with different instrumental backing. The tracks “Someone Else’s Bed” and “Pacific Coast Highway” feel heartfelt and inspire empathy in the listener.

The biggest disappointment is the album’s first single, “Skinny Little Bitch.” It is one of the few tracks molded in Hole’s former image, and its crass approach clashes with the album’s mature themes. However, the track “Loser Dust” gets back to Hole’s punk roots without the high school theatrics.

Overall, Love transitions into the new style nicely. It should help alter her recent public image as a floozy has-been.