Ohio State’s Jewish Student Union, The Hillel, will hold a 24-hour memorial service on the Oval beginning at 5:30 p.m. Thursday to remember all Holocaust victims. The event will begin with a short reading by students in the Holocaust Awareness Council, followed by songs from OSU’s a capella group, the MeshugaNotes.

Immediately following, the service will begin the 24-hour vigil to pay tribute to those who lost their lives during the Holocaust. More than 40 students have volunteered to read the names of the Holocaust victims during the day. The Brothers of Alpha Epsilon Pi, a Jewish fraternity, will continue to read the victims’ names throughout the night. All students are welcome and encouraged to sign up to read the victims’ names when passing by the ceremony.

The vigil is scheduled to end when Shabbat begins on Friday. This week’s Shabbat, “Holocaust Remembrance and Awareness,” will include speeches from students and Murray Ebner, a Holocaust survivor.

The ceremony, which will conclude Holocause Awareness week, will end with a free dinner for attendees.

Samantha Bloom, a member of the Jewish Community Center’s student board, said she was glad to witness students getting involved in Holocaust Awareness Week.

“Yes, the Holocaust happened over 50 years ago, but that is really not far away,” she said. “If we do not tell the story of those we lost, then who will?”

On Monday, students on the Oval and near the Wexner Center passed by Ribbons of Remembrance tables, which were decorated with facts about the Holocaust and its victims to remind students of the tragic events in history.

Bloom and the Jewish Student Organization encourage all students to participate in the weekly events by signing up to read victims’ names at the vigil or simply reading the various posters on display.

The Hillel has supplied snacks and refreshments to those reading names.

“It is important for each student to understand what happened and make a personal connection to this tragedy, as to ensure that it will never happen again,” Bloom said.

There will also be a luncheon from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday at the Hillel, on 46 E. 16th Ave., hosted by the Jewish Student Center. The meal will be provided at no cost, but all students who plan to attend the luncheon must RSVP to [email protected].