Saturday’s annual spring kick scrimmage at Ohio Stadium is supposed to be the time when Buckeye special team players can earn a starting position for next year. After a full morning of kicking and punting, there are still plenty of question marks regarding who will start for Ohio State.

The field goal kicking competition featured senior Devin Barclay, sophomore Ben Buchanan and freshman Drew Basil. Barclay and Buchanan demonstrated almost identical skills, with Barclay hitting eight of 15 field goal attempts and Buchanan succeeding on eight of 14 attempts. Basil only hit one of his four attempts.

The Gray team, which included Buchanan, defeated the Scarlet team in the scrimmage 27-24.

Buchanan’s last field goal proved to be the game-winner, as his 39-yard effort sailed through the uprights. Basil had a chance to tie the game, but missed wide left from the same distance.

“Spring ball is the time we work on these [close game] situations, so when you’re in front of 105,000 people, we know we have done this before,” Buchanan said.

The irony of this statement hits home for the Buckeyes because the kick scrimmage shared an eerie resemblance to the last Big Ten game of the season against Iowa. Ohio State won 27-24 in overtime on a 39-yard field goal by Barclay.

Barclay, who received most of the kicking duties when Aaron Pettrey went down with an injury last season, was the front-runner coming into 2010. But, his performance on Saturday did not leave him satisfied.

“Up until this day I have only missed two kicks in spring ball,” Barclay said. “So today was frustrating.”

Barclay and Buchanan both struggled from beyond 40 yards as they hit one of seven field goals and two of six field goals respectively.

Barclay’s advantage in securing the starting job seems to be his in-game experience. Though Barclay’s number has been called in the past, he understands Buchanan is not to be overlooked.

“I like the competition,” Barclay said. “You don’t want to be complacent because you want someone to push you, but you also want to know that everything you have done in the past is appreciated and valued.”

Though Buchanan believes he has put himself in contention for the starting kicker position, it seems he will edge out sophomore Derek Erwin as the likely replacement for last year’s punter, Jon Thoma.

After hitting only a 34-yard and 35-yard punt early in the scrimmage, he was able to bounce back and hit two punts of 55 yards or longer from his own end zone.

“I have to be honest, my nerves were getting to me a bit in the beginning, but I think that’s what comes with being a kicker,” Buchanan said. “Kicking is all about being cool under pressure and I was glad I was able to come back.”

Basil, who enrolled at Ohio State this Spring quarter, was the only player to kick off. He proved to have the most powerful leg of all of the special team players. His role for the Buckeyes next season is still uncertain.

Many spots on this Ohio State team are still up for grabs. Players are constantly competing to move up the depth chart.

They will have a chance to prove themselves on a bigger stage for the Ohio State spring game on April 24.