In 1927, the New York Yankees lineup was called “murderers’ row” for the punishing pain they caused opposing pitchers. Now, 83 years later, catcher Sam Marder has resurrected the nickname to describe the heart of the Ohio State softball lineup.

This season, the Buckeyes have been powered by hitting. Through 41 games, the team has a .308 batting average, 45 home runs and has scored 243 runs.

These statistics can largely be attributed to the success of its No. 2 through No. 5 hitters.

Though the lineup has changed throughout the year, coach Linda Kalafatis has kept these four hitters in the same spot for the past three weeks.

The lineup features Whitney Cooper, Alicia Herron, Marder and Courtney Pruner hitting two through five, respectively.

“Murderers’ row” has combined for a .356 batting average, 39 home runs and 133 RBIs.

Success begins near the top of the order with senior second baseman Cooper. Her role highlights situational hitting and often depends on her leadoff batter Dee Dee Hillman.

“My job is basically to advance Dee Dee over or get on so someone can bring me in,” Cooper said. “I tend to be a person who thinks too much. That is probably when I do the worst. So, I mainly try and hit the ball on the ground and do whatever coach asks me to do, if she gives me a sign.”

Kalafatis said that having Cooper hit second is a huge advantage for the lineup.

“I think what makes us a little more unique is that in our two spot we have a pretty big girl,” Kalafatis said. “We are not always necessarily looking to bunt over.”

Sophomore shortstop Herron follows Cooper in the lineup. There is no need to mention a sophomore slump with this player in the third spot. Herron is hitting a remarkable .432, which not only leads the team, but the Big Ten as well.

“I feel like all of a sudden things started clicking more,” Herron said. “We make each other better and are more confident in each other’s abilities. We know that we can all produce and it’s fun.”

A big part of Herron’s success could be that she hits in front of Marder, an All-American.

The senior, who leads the team in home runs and RBIs, likes the attention that comes with being the fourth hitter.

“I like being the four hitter because teams might overlook Whitney, Alicia or Pruner,” Marder said. “They just assume that the four hitter is the best hitter in the lineup, but what other teams don’t know is that on any day any one of us can be the best hitter.”

Though Marder is Ohio State’s all-time home run leader, she still does not consider herself strictly a power hitter.

“I don’t think about power or average,” Marder said. “I just want to get a hit, and if it happens to go into a gap or over the wall, it is just a bonus.”

Marder has been walked 42 times this season, meaning designated player Courtney Pruner has had a lot of opportunities with runners on base.

“I like hitting fifth in the order,” senior Pruner said. “It’s a confidence booster for me because they’re going to walk Sam to pitch to me. So, let’s see if you can blow it by me.”

Pruner is third on the team with 31 RBIs, but Marder takes the blame for that.

“I think Pruner wants to move me out of the four spot so she can get more RBIs,” Marder joked. “She gets on my case all the time. I’ll be on first and she will hit one in the gap and I only get to third base, whereas other girls might score.”

No matter who is leading in the statistical categories, “murderers’ row” is deadly.

“If you look at two through five, they are all girls who have played a lot of games and have been in a lot of pressure situations,” Cooper said. “I think all our experience is what makes us come through.”

The four players do not question Kalafatis about her lineup. All four hitters agree with the order as it stands.

Kalafatis was surprised Marder called the group of hitters “murderers’ row.”

“Oh, it’s not Marder’s row?” she said.