Four errors in five innings doomed Ohio State (21-11, 6-3) early in Wednesday night’s game against the Akron Zips (16-19, 2-10 in the Mid-American Conference).

In the end, those miscues were too much to overcome, despite a ninth-inning surge, in a 10-7 loss to the Zips under the lights at Bill Davis Stadium.

Trailing 10-4 in the bottom of the ninth, OSU pinch hitter Ryan Cypret scored on a wild pitch and Cory Rupert hit a two-run double to make the score 10-7.

But the rally fell short when right fielder Chris Griffin struck out to end the game.

“I didn’t think that there was much intensity by our ballclub,” said OSU coach Bob Todd. “We were looking ahead to the weekend, and that’s unacceptable.”

After giving up a four-run lead, Akron center fielder Drew Turocy hit a massive three-run home run in the eighth inning off OSU pitcher Theron Minium to make the score 7-4.

Left fielder Brandon White added his fourth home run of the season off of OSU’s Eric Best in the ninth to give Akron an 8-4 lead.

Zips shortstop Kevin Haas and right fielded Jake Plate added RBI base hits to increase Akron’s lead to 10-4.

Todd, who has stated how important midweek games are, said he didn’t like the approach the team took into batting practice before the game, and that the team needs to be more accountable.

“It’s up to the coaches to make sure the players are able to motivate themselves,” Todd said.

The Zips used seven pitchers, including Turocy, who was 2-for-6 with three RBIs, to hold the Buckeyes’ powerful offense in check for the first eight innings, allowing only four runs and nine hits.

OSU pitcher Dean Wolosiansky came into the game in the third and pitched four shutout innings, giving up six hits with one strikeout.

OSU starting pitcher Brett McKinney struggled in his two innings, walking three Akron batters and giving up four runs on five hits.

“He [Brett] was wild, wasn’t hitting a couple of spots, and the other guys made them pay,” Todd said.

Akron scored four in the second inning, capped off by RBI singles from shortstop Kevin Haas and first baseman Kyle Hallett.

Buckeyes first baseman Ryan Dew cut the deficit to 4-1 with an RBI single in the bottom of the third.

After a based-loaded walk to Ohio State designated hitter Cory Rupert made the score 4-2, Griffin delivered a two-run single to tie the game after pinch hitting for starting right fielder Brian DeLucia.

Akron starting pitcher Zach Yike went two innings but did not give up any runs, allowing four hits.

Ohio State will welcome Penn State to Bill Davis Stadium for a three-game series in Big Ten play beginning Friday night at 6:35 p.m.