No. 1 Cleveland vs. No. 8 Chicago

Cleveland
Strengths: Cleveland has the edge in experience, depth and coaching. They have the league’s best player in LeBron and one of the league’s stingiest defenses.
Weaknesses: None against the Bulls. They have the upper hand in every position, except for the fits Derrick Rose should give Mo Williams.

Chicago
Strengths: They’re hot. The Bulls have won eight of their last 11 and are playing with a lot of confidence. Derrick Rose can carry them for games at a time.
Weaknesses: Chicago is at a distinct size advantage and has no way of keeping LeBron out of the lane. Luol Deng has no chance at slowing down King James.

Bottom Line: Cleveland in four. Too much LeBron, not enough depth for Chicago. Cleveland will run them ragged and should dispense of the Bulls easily. Look for the Cavs to get Shaq lots of touches to get him back in the flow of the offense.

No. 2 Orlando vs. No. 7 Charlotte

Orlando
Strengths: Dwight Howard. Plain and simple, Charlotte has no one that can guard him. Thus, when the Bobcats double-down on the post, they’ll leave Orlando’s snipers wide open.
Weaknesses: If Vince Carter is a ball hog, Orlando’s offense can stall. And if the Magic’s 3-pointers aren’t falling, they’re capable of being beaten by anyone.

Charlotte
Strengths: The Bobcats are very capable of scoring with the Magic. Stephen Jackson and Gerald Wallace give them enough firepower to match Orlando offensively.
Weaknesses: Larry Brown’s crew will have a really hard time keeping Howard off the boards. Theo Ratliff and Tyson Chandler don’t exactly put fear in the eyes of the Magic.

Bottom Line: Orlando in six. Charlotte actually matches up OK with Orlando at one through four. Too bad they have no one to guard Howard.

No. 3 Atlanta vs. No. 6 Milwaukee

Atlanta
Strengths: The Hawks are probably the most athletic team in the NBA. Jamal Crawford, who will likely be the league’s Sixth Man of the Year, gives them instant offense off the bench.
Weaknesses: Atlanta has stretches when they really struggle to score, mostly due to poor shot selection. Aside from Crawford, there’s not much depth on the bench.

Milwaukee
Strengths: Defense. Scott Skiles’ teams always play tough defense and the Bucks are no different. John Salmons has been a revelation since coming over from Chicago.
Weaknesses: Brandon Jennings has spurts when his shot isn’t falling, and if he and Salmons aren’t on, Milwaukee could really struggle to score against Atlanta’s length.

Bottom Line: Atlanta in six. It’s a shame Andrew Bogut’s elbow disintegrated, because the Bucks could have beaten the Hawks. Josh Smith should have a monster series.

No. 4 Boston vs. No. 5 Miami

Boston
Strengths: The Celtics are the most seasoned team in the Eastern Conference. Rondo has turned into one of the league’s best point guards and Ray Allen seems to have snapped his shooting slump.
Weaknesses: Boston is aging fast, and I’ve got a hard time believing Ray Allen can hang with Dwyane Wade. Their defense isn’t what it used to be, either.

Miami
Strengths: Wade not only makes this team go, he makes other players better. Michael Beasley can score in the paint or outside the lane.
Weaknesses: When Miami struggles offensively, it’s very painful to watch. Boston has four legitimate scoring options, and that could be the difference.

Bottom Line: Boston in seven. Wade can beat a lot of teams by himself, but the Celtics aren’t one of them. If this is indeed the Big Three’s last hurrah, they won’t be bowing out in the first round.