Hot hitting continued but seven runs on 14 hits weren’t enough for the Buckeyes to finish the series sweep against Michigan State Sunday in East Lansing as the Spartans won 14-7.

OSU was not able to get off to a good start as inconsistent third-starter pitcher Dean Wolosiansky (3-4) gave up seven earned runs in just more than three innings of work.

Four two-out runs on six singles in the fourth helped the Buckeyes tie the game at 5-5. One of those runs came off the bat of steady-hitting left fielder Zach Hurley. Hurley went 3-5 Sunday and added three RBIs, bringing his totals to eight hits and four RBIs on the series.

However, the teams did not remain even for long as the Spartans responded with three runs of their own in the bottom of the inning.

Michigan State added four runs in the fifth inning and two insurance runs in the seventh and Ohio State never threatened again.

The game marks the first time OSU has allowed double digit runs to a Big Ten foe. The 14 runs are the second-most the team has given up this season, having allowed 17 to Marshall on March 13.

Despite the loss, Ohio State was able to take two of three from Michigan State in an important early season series as the teams entered the weekend in a tie for the Big Ten lead. Ohio State now boasts a 6-3 conference record and remains in first place.

Friday saw Buckeye ace Alex Wimmers improve to 8-0 on the season as Ohio State took the first game of the series 10-1.

The second meeting proved to be more dramatic as Ohio State needed two runs in the ninth inning to earn a come-from-behind win 4-3.

The team gets a break from the conference schedule as they welcome Akron to Bill Davis Stadium Wednesday at 6:35 p.m.