When discussing college recruiting, experts often say, “the sky’s the limit” about a specific recruit’s potential.

Ohio State recruit Tyrone Williams might have already reached the sky.

The towering 6-foot-7-inch, 215-pound wide receiver from East Cleveland, Ohio, brings a height element to the OSU receiving core that Buckeye fans don’t see often.

“He is unlike any other receiver prospect that has come into the program during the Jim Tressel era,” said Kevin Noon, managing editor of Buckeyegrove.com.

Williams had 39 catches for 685 yards and 14 touchdowns as a senior and was second team All-State for Shaw High School. He was the No. 34 ranked wideout in the class of 2010 according to ESPN 150. He was also a letterman in basketball and track.

Steve Helwagen of Bucknuts.com said Williams has a lot of potential at the college level because of his size and build.

“There aren’t a lot of Randy Moss-type players. That is going to be able to create some mismatches for Ohio State in the red zone where they can throw him a jump ball,” Helwagen said. “We saw that in the Fiesta Bowl two years ago where Todd Boeckman threw the ball to Terrelle Pryor, and Texas had no defense for it.”

Williams, who was also recruited by West Virginia, Cincinnati and Illinois, might have had other suitors if not for a knee injury that cut his junior season short.

“The injury his junior year left a little bit of skepticism out there,” Helwagen said. “I think some schools wanted to see what he did at the start of his senior year, but when Ohio State offered, it was an open and shut deal.”

Noon thinks that Williams can probably benefit from redshirting this upcoming season.

“He can learn the system, get into a collegiate strength and conditioning program, and work a little bit on honing his skills,” Noon said.

Helwagen said that if Williams doesn’t redshirt, he could make an impact due to his height advantage.

“He’s a weapon that Ohio State doesn’t have currently,” Helwagen said. “If he shows them that he can make plays right away in the fall, he’ll bring that element where he’ll be able to out jump corners because of his height.”

Outside of the obvious height advantage, Williams brings great body control, a huge wingspan and a power forward’s frame to the Buckeyes.

“He is deceptively fast and has the ability to go get the ball,” Noon said. “He is able to give quarterbacks a huge target.”

Ohio State clearly has a recruit in Williams, who has the potential to be a great receiver for the Buckeyes if he is able to shake off the effects of his injury and grow into the position.
Noon said, “If he is able to live up to the billing, Ohio State got an absolute steal in Tyrone Williams.”