Pelotonia visited the RPAC on Tuesday at 4 p.m. to announce the program’s next race, which will begin on August 20, and to inform participants how large a donation would be required.

The amount of money cyclists are required to raise will increase in relation to the distance they travel. Each biker must raise between $1000 and $2000. Bike riders may choose between six distances to ride in the Columbus area, which are between 20 and 180 miles, and receive donations from volunteers.

The large stairwell leading up to the food court in the RPAC was flooded with interested students, spectators and bikers who were already committed to participating. The event began with OSU cheerleaders leading the audience in a chant of “Go Bucks!”

A total of eight speakers spoke to the crowd. Tom Lennox, executive director of Pelotonia, a large cancer research organization, said that $4.5 million has already been raised this year, and all of it has been donated toward cancer research at OSU. Companies such as American Electric and Nationwide Insurance have donated money.

Other speakers included Steve Gabbe, the CEO of the OSU Medical Center, Steve Steinhauer of Huntington Bank, Abigail Wexner of Limited Brands Foundation and Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee. Gee expressed his gratitude to all attendees and was impressed with how the event has created unity on campus.

“I believe unequivocally that we are going to cure cancer, and we will do it right here on this campus,” he said.

Any student interested in participating in the event or making a contribution should stop by the RPAC or visit pelotonia.org.