After catching a game-clinching touchdown in the Rose Bowl last season, DeVier Posey has emerged as a top target for quarterback Terrelle Pryor this year.

Posey, a junior receiver for the Buckeyes, finished last season with 60 receptions for 828 yards and eight touchdowns, as he filled the void at the position created when Brian Robiskie and Brian Hartline left for the NFL a season earlier.

“It’s weird that we’re growing up. Aside from being a talented youngster, we’re expected to be a seasoned veteran now,” Posey said. “It’s crazy how your role just flips within a winter.”

Heading into his third season at the position, Posey feels the pressure to take on more of a leadership role to the younger teammates.

“We have high expectations for ourselves and that starts from the top to the bottom,” Posey said. “We’re trying to get our younger guys to fall in line with the older guys, and we won’t accept mediocrity. I think that’s the attitude of our team this year.”

As the Buckeyes prepare for next season, they have considered using three receivers rather than two, a decision that Posey stands behind.

“It allows us to do different things as an offense,” he said. “Every week it’s a different team, and the more versatile we are the better chance we have to be successful on offense.”

Posey has sensed the excitement building up among teammates as they will soon be able to showcase their skills in front of fans at the Spring Game.

“I feel like we’re practicing with a sense of urgency, like we have a game on Saturday,” he said. “Our urgency is increasing. You can hear it in the coaches’ voices, and in the different drills we’re doing.”

At the Rose Bowl, the Buckeyes established themselves in the passing game more than they had in any previous game that season, as Pryor threw for 266 yards, 101 of them to Posey. Throughout the spring, Posey has experienced first-hand the improvements that Pryor continues to make to his game.

“He’s gotten a lot better,” Posey said. “I’m just trying to get used to catching his passes right out of breaks. It’s a lot different than last year. Our timing is a lot better now, and I think it’s me getting used to the ball being right on me. You can definitely see his improvements.”

Although the offense might seem more established in this season than in others, Posey still sees much room for improvement.

“I see a lot of weaknesses, a lot of areas we can get better,” he said. “We know we can be good, but we just can’t settle with being good.”

Darrell Hazell, wide receiver coach for the Buckeyes, has been impressed with the growth he has seen from Posey during the off-season.

“He’s a special athlete and we’re expecting him to have a special year,” Hazell said. “He has a lot of physical ability. He’s explosive, he’s quick, he’s got good body control and he loves the game. Hopefully he becomes more consistent in the next couple weeks and stays healthy over the summer so he can have a great year.”

When it comes to next season, Posey has only the highest expectations for himself.

“I just want to go from being a good receiver to a great receiver, those are just my goals for myself,” Posey said. “I want to set the bar high, and I don’t like settling. Everyday I’m out here I’m hard on myself. I want to be perfect every single day. I don’t want to have any missed assignments. That’s what I have to do every day to be the player I want to be.”