More than 1,200 candles were simultaneously lit on the Ohio Statehouse lawn Sunday evening. It was enough to break a world record.

The candles were lit as part of an event hosted by Lifeline of Ohio to “provide hope to those waiting for a chance to shine on with an organ transplant, remembrance for those who shine on through the gifts they gave as organ and tissue donors, and in celebration for transplant recipients who shine on with a second chance at life,” said Rachel Lewis of Lifeline of Ohio.

Although verification from Guinness World Records is still pending, Lifeline knows there were enough candles to break the world record for most candles lit simultaneously, Lewis said.

People whose lives have been affected by organ and tissue donation spoke before the candle lighting. They included someone waiting for a liver, a living donor, a woman whose father had passed away waiting for a heart, and a woman who had received a kidney. The stories emotionally touched the crowd, as many people had tears in their eyes.

There was one resounding message: organ and tissue donation saves lives and gives hope.

After the speakers had finished, attendees gathered in small groups and had their candles lit. There was a moment of silence before a choir sang “This Little Light of Mine,” which the audience joined in singing.

Sen. Ray Miller made closing remarks.

“By choosing to be an organ and tissue donor, you are letting the light in you shine onto others,” he said. “I want everybody to turn to their neighbor and say ‘I’m glad to be alive.'”