The No. 20 Ohio State softball team returned home Wednesday night, taking both ends of its doubleheader against in-state rival Bowling Green.
By defeating the Falcons 4-0 in game one and 10-0 in game two, the Scarlet and Gray improved their record to 24-11.

Freshmen pitcher Melanie Nichols improved her record to 12-2 after pitching a complete game. Nichols only gave up seven hits in seven innings.

“After dealing with some injuries, I’m playing a lot more now,” Nichols said. “I try my hardest and do what the coaches ask. I’m doing my job.”

Big Ten player of the week Courtney Pruner, said no matter the opponent or award, it’s always important to stay focused.

“All Ohio teams come to play us, hoping to knock us off,” Pruner said. “We’re the team to beat in Ohio.”

The Buckeyes gained a mercy rule over the Falcons in the second game, winning 10-0 after five innings.

Senior Megan Miller pitched the first four innings before handing it off to junior pitcher Karisa Medrano for the final inning.

Junior Brittany Goodchild made her mark in the second game as she started a rally in the third inning, smashing a ball to the centerfield wall for a double and then later hitting a 3-RBI triple.

“I just trusted my hands this time and tried not to over swing,” Goodchild said. “My hits went a lot further in the second game, I thought, especially with how everyone was screaming. I’ll take it.”

Four of the runs in the doubleheader came from bases loaded walks.

Senior captain catcher Sam Marder is all too familiar with walks as she has been walked over 200 times in her career at OSU, the most in Buckeye history.

With the win, the Buckeyes remained perfect at home.

OSU will face the Michigan State Spartans on Saturday and Sunday at 1 p.m. in East Lansing, Mich.