Reviving cries from the American Revolution, the Tea Party movement began in 2009 and has mobilized many across the country to protest fiscal policy in the United States.

One such protest was held in downtown Columbus at the State House on April 15, widely known as Tax Day.

The event brought out a Tea Party crowd of more than 3,000 people, including Meagan Cyrus, chair of the OSU College Republicans.

“They represent a lot of our core values, so that is how we got involved with it,” Cyrus said. “They defiantly encompass a lot of the Republican values, what the Republican party claims to uphold, which is limited government and less spending. They don’t necessarily support all of the social views. It is more of the fiscal aspect so you get a broad range of people there. It’s interesting.”

The movement does not attach itself to a party, rather to the issues. However, a recent survey released by CBS and The New York Times found that 18 percent of those surveyed were Tea Party supporters, and of that 18 percent, 66 percent said they always vote Republican.

The CBS/New York Times survey identified a majority of supporters of the tea parties as white, educated males older than 45.

OSU political science professor Paul Beck said this does not mean young people are not participating.

“People of student age are more likely to be involved in activist movements. Part of that is because they are more available,” Beck said.

Mike Triozzi, communications director of the OSU College Democrats, pointed out that the Tea Party movement is not the only grass roots campaign getting attention.

“The Coffee Party movement got its start on Facebook. They have been doing events and getting coverage and have gotten a lot of members,” Triozzi said.

Coffee Parties were started as a reaction to Tea Parties. They promoted civil discourse and cooperation in government to better provide services.

Triozzi also said he is not worried the movement will affect this year’s mid-term elections.

Beck agrees that the Tea Parties will not have an effect on the elections, but he said this year’s primaries are something to watch.

“It may be that the greater effect will be on primaries. It will affect the choice of candidates,” Beck said.

He points to Jon Husted’s campaign in Ohio for secretary of state.
Husted has claimed Tea Party support but has been shunned by its leaders. His opponent, Sandra O’Brien, has been embraced by Tea Parties.

“As things stand right now with primaries coming up in a lot states,” Beck said, “they are a pressure group within the Republican party.”