The Columbus Clippers finished their home stand against the Syracuse Chiefs on Tuesday, missing the opportunity to face one of baseball’s top pitching prospects, Stephen Strasburg.

Strasburg will make his first start for the Syracuse Chiefs on Friday, as he was called up after a start on Sunday for the Class AA Harrisburg Senators.

Strasburg was the No. 1 pick in the 2009 MLB draft by the Washington Nationals after playing college baseball at San Diego State.

He is 6-feet-4-inches tall and 220 pounds, and features a fastball that touches the 100-mph mark, a strong slider in the upper 80s, a changeup and a curve.

In Strasburg’s freshman year at SDSU, he earned second team all-Mountain West Conference. In 2008, as a sophomore, Strasburg was a consensus All-American with an 8-3 record, 133 strikeouts and a 1.57 ERA.

In Strasburg’s final season with SDSU in 2009, he had a 13-1 record, a 1.35 ERA and 195 strikeouts in 109 innings.

After signing a contract with the Washington Nationals, Strasburg began the 2010 season with Harrisburg.

Strasburg showed why he is considered the No. 2 prospect by Baseball America with a spectacular start of the season.

He had a record of 3-1 for the Senators with a 1.64 ERA and 27 strikeouts while only allowing six walks in 22 innings pitched.

The Nationals are hoping that Strasburg can continue his dominance and produce at the major league level. They have started off the 2010 season with a 14-12 record, and are one game behind the National League East-leading Philadelphia Phillies.

While the Clippers missed out on a chance to face Strasburg, they had a chance to play against another top pitching prospect, Cincinnati’s Aroldis Chapman, earlier in the season.

The Clippers defeated the Louisville Bats 3-1. Chapman only allowed one hit and one run through five innings, but let up four walks.

“What Chapman brought was more velocity on his ball, that’s what he’s known for,” Clippers infielder Brian Bixler said. “Any time you face a guy with the kind of stuff that Chapman and Strasburg have, you get excited for the challenge. As for big name guys, we do this every day. It’s competitive but we don’t get too hyped up and worried about who it is.”

There haven’t been many pitchers that have held the Clippers’ offensive production down this year. The Clippers lead the International League West with a 17-10 record. They lead the International League in batting average and are second to Durham in home runs, RBIs and runs scored.

Manager Mike Sarbaugh focuses on what his team brings and doesn’t get into all of the hype surrounding Strasburg.

“I think it would be similar to when we faced Chapman,” Sarbaugh said. “Guys would be curious to see how his stuff is, but it’s just another game. Whoever is on the mound, you have to be ready to go.”

Clippers reliever Saul Rivera agreed, embracing the challenge of facing a top-tier pitching prospect.

“When you face a pitcher like that,” he said, “you have to bring your ‘A’ game.”