He’s a self-described average Joe.

“I’m still putting central air in my house. I’m a basic kind of guy,” Colt Ford said. “I’m not slicked up; I’m a fat dude from Georgia.”

Despite what he might say, Ford isn’t your typical Southern man. He’s an up-and-coming country music artist who has sold more than 163,000 CDs in the last 13 months, averages 50,000 plays per day on MySpace and has recorded songs with some big names, including Joe Nichols, Rhett Akins and DMC (of Run-DMC fame).

Ford isn’t concerned with statistics, though.

“I’ve never thought about (fame) in my life, to be honest,” Ford said. “What I want to do is make the best possible songs. Whatever fame comes from that, I’ll take whatever it is.”

With a talent for writing and a voice that Ford explains as having “limitations,” his music is spoken-word, sometimes mixed with a little hip-hop. Ford’s music isn’t something you would expect to hear in a regular country music radio line-up.

“I’m not sure what traditional country music is,” Ford said. “I wouldn’t consider Taylor Swift or Rascal Flatts traditional country either.”

Ford said that his spoken-word style is similar to Charlie Daniels in “The Devil Goes Down to Georgia,” and Toby Keith’s “I Want to Talk About Me.”

Whatever Ford’s style might be, just don’t call his music country rap.

“First of all, rap isn’t a genre, it’s a vocal style,” Ford said. “I’ve never heard people refer to Charlie Daniels as a rapper. Before people hear (my music), it makes them think about it in a negative way.”

Despite the negative connotation, Ford’s music draws in a wide range of fans. He said that kids as young as 5 or 6 come to his shows, and people as old as 75 and 80 can also be spotted in the crowd.

“Being on the stage, anytime people show up, I’m still amazed,” he said.

To show his appreciation, Ford said he treats his fans well. He said he stays after every performance to sign autographs.

“I don’t understand singers who have a big ego and won’t sign after shows,” Ford said. “I don’t care how late it is, I’ll stay.”

Ford is also very strict with his ticket prices. If he’s the only one performing, the ticket price is going to stay at $20.

“I’ve had some problems with people trying to run (the ticket price) up and it p—– me off. It’s not right; I don’t care who you are,” he said.

Low ticket prices means low stage theatrics, however. But that’s not something Ford is concerned with.

“Some singers have it all — there’s rollercoasters on the stage. When you put it all on the stage, that’s fine. But people come for the music. I’d rather plug-in and put on a kick-ass show.”

Colt Ford will be performing at 8 p.m. Friday at Screamin’ Willies.