Every year there is at least one album that music critics collectively declare to be incredible. Seemingly, critics at smaller publications don’t bother writing reviews but just repeat what more renowned critics have already said. Crystal Castles’ new album is probably the 2010 incarnation.

The good news: “Crystal Castles (II)” is actually pretty darn good. The duo of vocalist Alice Glass and instrumentalist Ethan Kath balance dance-worthy beats with a degree of distorted creepiness.

Kath deserves most of the credit. Although Glass’ sweet vocals complement the music nicely, Kath is the one producing the beats and other instrumental elements. Most importantly, in his role as producer he alters the way Glass’ voice appears in each song.

“Celestica” features the cleanest vocals on the album, and “Fainting Spells” involves Glass halfway shrieking in short, broken fragments. “Birds” is best for the way it ties everything together. Glass sings over a simple beat of electronic “plops” and a fuzzy guitar provides a grumbling rhythm.

The only downside is that Kath’s keyboard tone gets a bit repetitive after 14 tracks. That, and the catchiest number on the album is titled “Pap Smear.”

All in all, Crystal Castles have succeeded in creating a fun and unique album. This critic will have to wait until next year to go against the grain.