Illinois — After losing quarterback Juice Williams, coach Ron Zook could turn to freshman quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase to lead the offense. But experienced running backs Mikel LeShoure and Jason Ford could provide a solid security blanket. Zook’s defense will have to play well if he wants to keep his job in 2011.

Indiana — The Hoosiers return quarterback Ben Chappell and several other talented offensive receivers. But the lack of solid defensive players could hurt Indiana as it progresses through the Big Ten season. 2010 could be Bill Lynch’s last year in Bloomington as head coach if they don’t perform well.

Iowa — Kirk Ferentz and the Hawkeyes remain the top challenger to Ohio State for the Big Ten title, with quarterback Ricky Stanzi back for his senior season. The defense, led by defensive end Adrian Clayborn, is among the best in the country and can disrupt any offense.

Michigan — The Wolverines have missed bowl game appearances in the past two seasons and will need to find a spot if head coach Rich Rodriguez plans on keeping his job. Michigan returns both quarterbacks from 2009, though a starter remains uncertain. The defense will need to step up if Michigan wants to live up to any post-season hopes.

Michigan State — Coach Mark Dantonio may field his most talented team in East Lansing for the 2010 season. Kirk Cousins put up strong passing numbers in the Big Ten, but will need to do so again without his top receiver from 2009, Blair White. Top linebacker Greg Jones leads a deep, experienced defense.

Minnesota — Coach Tim Brewster and the Gophers have played in consecutive bowl games and look to make their third straight in 2010. Quarterback Adam Weber will return for his senior season, but will not have top target Eric Decker for 2010. If the Gophers do not find a playmaker like Decker, they may not make a bowl game.

Northwestern — A strong finish to the 2009 season, including upsets over Iowa and Wisconsin, Northwestern has high hopes for more upsets in the coming season. Junior Dan Persa will replace Mike Kafka at quarterback, but the team will have to replace star defensive end Corey Wootton to continue the momentum from the past year.

Penn State — The Nittany Lions will have a new quarterback running the Spread HD offense, but they return many top skill players, including running back Evan Royster. But PSU will need to replace all three starters at linebacker. Joe Paterno’s club will need to mature quickly if they dream of a Big Ten title.

Purdue — Danny Hope’s second season as coach should be much improved from 2009. Miami (FL) transfer quarterback Robert Marve is eligible to start, but running back Ralph Bolden may miss time after suffering a knee injury in the spring. Returning defensive end Ryan Kerrigan led the nation in forced fumbles in 2009.

Wisconsin — The Badgers have an experienced offense heading into the 2010 season. Quarterback Scott Tolzien and running back John Clay are back with a veteran offensive line, and the defense should be as physical as ever. After beating Miami in the bowl season, coach Bret Bielema’s Badgers are major contenders for a conference title.