From the famous backbend to the dotting of the “i” in Script Ohio, the university’s drum major has become a symbol of Buckeye pride and tradition for fans across the country.

The Best Damn Band in the Land selected its head and assistant drum majors Tuesday night for the 2010-2011 season.

Jason Stuckert, a first-year in business administration, was named head drum major, and Matt Berndsen, a third-year in hospitality management, was named assistant drum major.

There were a total of 19 judges at the tryouts, including two OSU drum majors from the 1940s. The seven contenders each performed the well-known pre-game ramp routine, a choreographed routine of their own, and a series of high tosses in front of an attentive, eager crowd that “ooh-ed” and “aah-ed” with every move.

Before even making it to tryouts, though, each contestant spent years training for this day. Stuckert began twirling when he was in fifth grade and began training with drum majors at OSU in seventh grade.

“I decided before high school that this was a goal that I wanted to reach, and that’s what I spent all my time doing,” Stuckert said.

In the months leading up to tryouts, Stuckert said he spent four hours a day, seven days a week training, which included twirling, running and working out.

Once the long-awaited day of tryouts came, Stuckert said he was feeling very nervous during all of his classes up until right before the tryouts began.

“Once I got going, I felt great. All of the nerves went away,” Stuckert said. “It was a lot easier to have fun, and I had a blast doing it.”

After all contestants had finished their performances, there was an hourlong waiting period for the judges to tally their scores. Then, Jon Woods, the band’s director, announced the names of the winners.

“It was surreal. I’ve seen so many people that have done it before me and I just dreamed about it one day being my turn,” Stuckert said. “It was the greatest feeling ever.”

Being able to have his family and close friends there to watch him and share the moment was really emotional, Stuckert said.

Stuckert succeeds Josh Halter, who was the head drum major during the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

Halter shared some of the same feelings as Stuckert when he first became the drum major.

“You just can’t help but be happy,” Halter said about his first game as drum major. But now he is ready to move on.

“I’m ready to start a new chapter in my life,” he said. “It’s time to step out of the way and give them a shot.”

With the stress of tryouts behind him, Stuckert looks forward to his first pre-game ramp and his first dotting of the “i” with a tuba player.

There are alumni gigs coming up soon, he said, but the next big goal is that first game.

“It should be a lot of fun and quite an experience,” Stuckert said. “I am so relieved. You have no idea.”

OSU’s first football game is at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 2 against Marshall University at Ohio Stadium.